Re: [casi] COME OUT OF HIDING AND RESPOND

 Dear Bert,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed to me your remark about the "circular
argument" game was at least partially addressed to me.

 Well, I don't think I'm playing this game. To me it's almost cynical that
again we go to war as again the people responsible for the darker side of
US-foreign policy in the last thirty years have taken office. From the mid
sixties on till now, every time the likes of Rumsfeld and Cheney were
involved in the government the US started or supported the most cruel wars
and dictatorships.

This doesn't mean I'm blind to the crimes of Saddam Hussein. In fact I'm all
eyes but I'm not willing to close them when looking at the US. I'm utterly
flabbergasted about the fact the world lets it self be forced in a war by
the same people over and over again. These guys founded, trained and armed
Al Quaida and the Taliban. They were the ones who supported many
South-American regimes in the eighties with military advisors, weapons and
money. A support which left hundred of thousands killed, imprisoned and
suppressed. They even were a part of the Nixon-government, which prolonged
the Vietnam War just to win the elections.

This is not a "circular argument", these facts should play a part in the
current discussion. I'm not running in any separate wheels, I'm nearly
stating that if the human rights card is being played, there are more cards
in the deck than just the one portraying Saddam Hussein.

 To me it is absolutely incomprehensible most media pay no attention to the
fact it's again the same bunch of cowboys pulling the wires which will lead
us in to again another human disaster. While Saddam's history is portrayed
almost daily in newspapers and news reports  all over the world, when it
comes to the history of the people now running the show in Washington the
sound of silence is overwhelming.

 A lot of arguments the US-regime uses to justify this war are the same they
used to justify their murder campaigns in many other occasions. Again words
such as human rights, democracy and freedom are being used as a mantra to
get us all in the right state of mind for killing in the name of God,
humanity and world peace. There is a patron here. Like there is a patron in
the way Saddam has acted over the last thirty years.

 To see Saddam being driven out of office would be a good thing, but to me
to see the likes of Rumsfeld being hold responsible for their actions would
be just as important, in fact maybe even more important. Cause it many times
are these guys who make the rise of dictators like Saddam possible.

 So my reflections on their crimes shouldn't be seen as anti-Americanism or
a way of playing down the hideous deeds of the Iraqi regime. Nor is it my
attempt to cripple the discussion over Iraq or to drag it in an endless
argument over who are the real villains.

 I'm just genuinely concerned over the lack of media attention on the track
record of those ruling the White House and who are now pushing us in to yet
another war. If history has any purpose, it's to learn from it. But no
lessons can be learned if we're not first are taught that history.

Sander Faas
Faaz@battl.nl
http://battl.nl