[casi] Former U.S. Senators Oppose War

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                    Contact: Former Sen. Jim Abourezk,
SD 605-334-8402

February 27, 2003
Former Sen. BillHathaway, ME 703-821-3074

            A bipartisan group of former United States Senators today
announced its opposition to the Bush Administration's plans to invade Iraq.

In a statement released by the former lawmakers, the group said that, among
other problems a war will cause, the already struggling American economy
will fall into a recession.  The statement continues:

"We are concerned with the expenditure of American lives in a war that need
not be undertaken at this time.  Not only will our sons and daughters be put
in harm's way, but this is a war that will dramatically increase the
terrorist threat to Americans both at home, as well as the more than one
million Americans who live abroad."

"We favor multiplying U.N. inspectors in Iraq - if necessary accompanied by
U.N. forces - to complete the U.N.'s task more quickly and effectively.
This will be eminently less expensive in lives and treasure than all-out
war."

"The nation's almost- forgotten "war on terrorism" has been seriously
neglected because of the Administration's preoccupation with Iraq and Saddam
Hussein."

"We are all concerned that serious damage that can be done to the United
States by terrorism triggered by an attack on a sovereign Arab nation."

    "As well, all Americans should be concerned that an invasion when
carried to Iraq's cities will result in the needless killing of innocent
Iraqi civilians, especially women and children, who have no voice in their
government's policies."

"A first strike is not authorized under international law, because Iraq
poses no imminent or unavoidable threat to the United States.  And there has
been no confirmable evidence of any connection between Iraq and Al Qaeda."

"We believe that the principles of the United Nations' Charter will be
violated if we attack another nation when we are not threatened.  Such an
attack will seriously undermine our ability to represent a moral standard to
the world.  We will be prevented from objecting should India or Pakistan
decide to attack the other, or if China should decide to invade Taiwan.
Instead of undermining United Nations' principles, we should be supporting
them."

"We successfully contained the Soviet Union for nearly 50 years by avoiding
an attack on that country which was a real threat the U.S.  Iraq has no
current ability to threaten the United States as does North Korea, for
example."

The group of former lawmakers includes Former United States Senators George
McGovern of South Dakota, John Culver of Iowa, Paul Simon of Illinois, Adlai
Stevenson III of Illinois, Fred Harris of Oklahoma, Dale Bumpers of
Arkansas, Charles Mac Mathias of Maryland, Bill Hathaway of Maine, John
Tunney of California, Gary Hart of Colorado, Howard Metzenbaum of Ohio, and
James Abourezk of South Dakota.

---