Re: [casi] The Pro-War Media

Lord Conrad Black is all yours now! He has renounced his Canadian
citizenship..

Cheers, Ken Hanly

  Ottawa dispatch

----
Conrad's black mark for Canada

Media tycoon Conrad Black is very vocal about why he took the unusual step
of renouncing his Canadian citizenship, writes Anne McIlroy

Monday November 19, 2001

Lord Black of Crossharbour returned to his native land last week and
pronounced it unworthy.
Newspaper magnate Conrad Black, owner of Britain's Telegraph, had renounced
his Canadian citizenship in August after the courts ruled that the prime
minister, Jean Chretien, had every right to block his appointment to the
House of Lords. It was an honour Mr Black coveted dearly.

"You're not going to see the end of me until the undertaker tells you I am
gone," the media mogul said after turning in his Canadian passport.

He was true to his word last week, delivering a bitter speech at a lunch
organised by a rightwing thinktank in Vancouver. It was the latest sniping
in a two-year war of words between the man who was for a time the most
powerful newspaper owner in the country and the prime minister he tried to
drive out of office.

Mr Chretien appears to have the upper hand. He is firmly in power for a
third term. Lord Black has retreated from Canada, selling his share in the
National Post, the national daily he created and which relentlessly attacked
Mr Chretien. He also unloaded his other major Canadian newspapers and took
the unusual step of renouncing his citizenship. He had held British
citizenship for several years and two weeks ago became a member of the House
of Lords.

But that doesn't mean he's going to stop criticising Canada or its Liberal
government.

In his first major speech since taking his seat, Lord Black denounced Canada
has a one-party state doomed to mediocrity by leftwing policies and
complacent citizens. He criticised gun control and the publicly-funded
national healthcare system.

"Renouncing my citizenship was the last and most consistent act of dissent I
could pose against a public policy which I believe is depriving Canada of
its right and duty to be one of the world's great countries."

It was no surprise that he saved some of his harshest words for Mr Chretien.
After the National Post raised questions about the prime minister's business
dealings, he said Mr Chretien "deliberately gave false advice to the Queen
of the United Kingdom and Canada, that I was ineligible under Canadian law
for the British peerage to which I had been nominated".

"I was, as I said when the decision came down, the only adult, sane,
solvent, unincarcerated UK citizen ineligible for an honour in that country
because I was also a citizen of a country with a capricious and antagonistic
prime minister without a serious political opposition or the discipline of a
reliably independent judiciary."

His speech, the latest chapter in a drama that has entertained Canadians
since 1999, didn't win warm reviews. "We are indeed fortunate that Lord
Black could share his litany of what's wrong with Canada, but he didn't go
far enough," said one letter to the editor of the Globe and Mail.

"Another problem is the ease with which almost any greedy entrepreneur can
grab a podium to pass off his or her elitist views as insightful, reasoned
commentary."