[casi] sent to Newsnight (TV programme)

Newsnight Monday 24/02/03

Mark Urban in his analysis talked about resolution 687 but made no
reference to the resolution's goal of a WMD free ME.

The Minister also felt free to refer to 687 and was not reminded
about that goal by Jeremy Paxman.

Please ... the next chance you get, don't let them get away with
saying 'we are doing our best to avoid war, war is a last resort' etc

Ask them things like: why hasn't our government tried diplomacy with
Iraq? An envoy, dialogue, listen to Iraq's concerns, a non-agression
pact, security guarantees? How can a country be expected to disarm
when under threat from the US which is inclined not to obey the UNSC
or International Law? What about carrots? Will the UK government
guarantee the lifting of sanctions if Iraq complies?

You may be interested in some background reading. Try the following:

Memorandum addressed to the President of the General Assembly and to
the Secretary-General of the United Nations concerning the
humanitarian emergency caused by economic sanctions imposed on Iraq
and the threat of the use of force against Iraq (19 February 2002)

http://i-p-o.org/Iraq-UN-sanctions.htm

Mark Parkinson
Bodmin
Cornwall