[casi] PERLE: SYRIA MAY BE NEXT

PERLE: SYRIA MAY BE NEXT
Agence France-Presse, 2/23/03
http://www.ptd.net/webnews/wed/bv/Qiraq-us-perle.R8i7_DFN.html

DUBAI - The United States will attack Iraq even if France uses its veto to
block a new resolution in the UN Security Council, top Pentagon adviser
Richard Perle said in an interview published Sunday.

The Bush administration hawk also indicated that after overthrowing Iraqi
President Saddam Hussein Washington might set its sights on Syria's Bashar
al-Assad.

If Paris vetoed a resolution backing war, "We will go (to war) without an
international resolution," the Arabic daily Asharq al-Awsat quoted him as
saying in an interview...

"The experience in Iraq will be a prelude to reforms in the region," Perle
warned. "I hope Syrian President Bashar al-Assad will consider reforms,
otherwise" he may say to himself, "'I could be the second target.'"