[casi] Re: justifying war on the grounds that it will lead to an end to economic sanctions

Here's how Noam Chomsky addressed this point in a recent interview:

Question: Some advocates of war have suggested that if the economic
sanctions on Iraq are as horrible as the left claims, then a war, even a war
that killed 100,000 civilians, would be a humanitarian blessing, since,
presumably, after a U.S. victory there would be no more sanctions. How do
you answer this argument?
Noam Chomsky: I've heard some zany arguments in the past, but this must
break some new records. I suspect it was offered tongue in cheek. Note first
the conception of "the left": the UN's humanitarian coordinators (Denis
Halliday, Hans van Sponeck) who know more about the country than anyone
else, UNICEF, etc. It's a bit like saying that the left is concerned about
global warming -- and tells us something about where those who question "the
claim" place themselves on the political spectrum.

But that aside, the argument does have appeal. For example, we could offer
Iran assistance in conquering Israel and carrying out appropriate "regime
change," so that suicide bombings would stop. Since the war advocates
doubtless regard suicide bombing as atrocious, they should be calling for
that. Or, we could help Russia grind Chechnya to dust, so that Chechens
would no longer have to suffer Russian terror and atrocities. The
possibilities are endless.