Re: [casi] No war no solution

I'm sorry to have seen no reflections yet on Abdulkarim Salih's message of
30 Jan, though as he raised a serious and very bitter point for opponents of
the sanctions, people may well need some time to think how best to respond.
Or some may feel the issue has been gone over before, though I'm afraid I
don't recall it (there was a paragraph from Peter Brooke in his message of 6
October 2002).

> any body on this list knows horror of sanctins in my
> country. this will continue to happen if there is no action- so all these
> nice people against wars actually support many deaths due to sanctions and
> due to Saddam. and they say we are against sanctions also. and then what did
> you do. post messages to this list for 10 years?

Anyone want to plead guilty to this? Or does anyone want to sum up the
positive achievements of the anti-sanctions campaign? Unfortunately the
achievements don't include any serious impact on US/UK policy -- or is this
a question of judgement?

> No body has done anything to help end iraq suffering for 10 years. so when
> america wants to end it- and i know it doesnt do it out of liking for us...
> some american action is only way to end sanctions on iraq.

It would no doubt be a tragic and disgusting spectacle if the chief authors
and perpetrators of the sanctions regime proceed to liberate Iraq at the
cost of thousands of Iraqi lives, congratulating themselves all the time for
their wisdom and resolve.

And yet -- might a war, if it ends the sanctions, be better for the Iraqi
population than the continuation of the sanctions for 2 more years? Five
more years? Ten more? Even if one expects the sanctions regime to become
more porous in practice, and even if the nutritional and medical status of
the people recovers, the blockade suffocates so much in national and
personal life that the thought of it going on indefinitely is deeply
distressing.

I have no wish to even think about making judgements of this kind, but at
some level it has to be faced. Any comments?

Andrew Goreing