[casi] * * * February 15 London demonstration -- statement by organisers * * *

----- Original Message -----
From: pressoffice
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 10:26 AM

STATEMENT FROM CND, THE MUSLIM ASSOCIATION OF BRITAIN AND THE STOP THE WAR COALITION

 Our organisations are deeply concerned at the sudden and apparently arbitary decision by the Royal
Parks Authority to deny us, as the organisers of the February 15 demonstration against war, access
to Hyde Park for an end-of-march rally.  We are further concerned that this decision may have been
taken at government level, which would raise the most fundamental issues regarding the right to
protest.

We believe that the reasons given for this ban are spurious, and that any genuine issues regarding
public safety could easily be dealt with in discussions between the Parks Authority, the
Metropolitan Police and ourselves.  To avoid any confusion, we are urging the authority to lift
this ban without delay and allow plans for the rally - the arrangements for which were first
discussed with the Parks Authority well before Christmas - to proceed.

We wish to reaffirm that the demonstration on February 15 is going ahead, and that there is no
question whatsoever of it being cancelled.  It will be a peaceful and democratic protest,
representing the views and voices of the great majority of the British people, who are against this
war.  A rally will be held in Central London at the conclusion of the demonstration, and we believe
that this can and should be in Hyde Park, the more so since no realistic alternative venue has been
suggested.  February 15 is a worldwide day of protest against the war, and the British people can
and will be heard in their capital city, as millions will in other capitals around the world.

We urge the government to direct the Parks Authority to lift the ban straight away,  Our
organisations are ready to continue discussions about any legitimate concerns which the authorities
or others may wish to raise about the organisation of what may be the largest demonstration in
London's history.

Andrew Murray                     Chair, Stop the War Coalition

Carol Naughton                      Chair, Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament

Mohammed Sawala   Chair, Muslim Association of Britain

Press Officer

p   020 7700 2393 switchboard

p   020 7700 2350 direct line

f    020 7700 2357

m  07968 420859

e   pressoffice@cnduk.org

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this email in error
please notify your system administrator.  Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
author and not those of CND.

Please refer to our website (www.cnduk.org) if you wish to join CND or would like further
information on our Campaign.