[casi] Iraq Water Project: background info

Here is some background information on the
Iraq Water Project, if you're interested:
1) the first press release, and
2) an initial description of the project

-----------Fwd Message-----------
http://www.iraqwaterproject.com/press/pr1.htm
Press Release
October 2000
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

US Veterans to go to Iraq to Rebuild Water-Treatment
Facilities

United States military Veterans will go to Iraq to help
rebuild water treatment facilities that were either
destroyed by U.S. and British bombers, or rendered
inoperable by the allies-led economic sanctions.

Veterans for Peace, Inc., a non-profit educational and
humanitarian organization with a long record of
accomplishments since its creation in 1985, is proud to
launch The Iraq Water Project. Veterans for Peace, Inc. is
an organization based in Washington, DC that holds 81
chapters nationwide as well as several international
affiliations. It is an accredited NGO (Non-Governmental
Organization) with the United Nations through their
Department of Public Information.

Waterborne diseases account for most of the child
fatalities caused by sanctions (at least 4,000 per month
under the age of 5 years old). Under The Iraq Water
Project, Veterans for Peace (VFP) will restore water-
cleansing capabilities and provide 10 years of maintenance
to four water-treatment facilities located in a suburb of
Basrah (a major city in the southeast) called Abul
Khaseeb. This area has been ravaged by 2 wars, sanctions,
and ongoing bombings. Furthermore, it has been virtually
poisoned by the aftereffects of depleted uranium weapons
and ammunition use. The population in the region that will
be serviced by The Iraq Water Project totals between
65,000-70,000 people. Funds to be raised for repair are
between $110,000-$125,000.

In an unprecedented effort to further expose the
devastating effects of US-led sanctions on Iraq, two teams
of former US servicepeople' Viet Nam, Korean War, and WW II
veterans, as well as many Gulf War veterans will enter
Iraq. They then will physically help rebuild these four
water facilities. It is the intent of The Iraq Water
Project for the public to see US service veterans working
alongside Iraqi engineers. The first team of veterans is
scheduled to depart the US on October 2.

The Iraq Water Project is a partnership with Life for
Relief and Development, another non-profit organization.
Life is the only relief organization to have dual
permission from both the Iraqi government and the US
Treasury Department, to do relief work in Iraq. It is they
who will work out the logistics inside Iraq.

The project is led by Co-Chairperson Fredy Champagne; VFP
Board of Directors member and Viet Nam veteran. In 1988,
Mr. Champagne created a similar but larger program in 1988
called the Veterans Viet Nam Restoration Project (VVRP).
The VVRP provided American veterans and others with
opportunities to return to Viet Nam for humanitarian
service. The VVRP operate(d) under the premise that
returning to Viet Nam, working directly on community
projects and returning to former war zones where they
served, helps veterans heal the legacy of war.

The other Co-Chairperson is Edilith Eckart, longtime noted
peace activist and recent winner of Physicians for Social
Responsibility's "Broad Street Pump" award. Ms. Eckart has
been a long-standing member of VFP' s Board of Directors.
She now devotes most of her energies to The Iraq Water
Project.

The Project Coordinator for The Iraq Water Project is
accomplished New York City Playwright Michael John Carley.
Mr. Carley is also VFP's United Nations NGO
Representative, for whom he has worked in Bosnia and Iraq,
among others, since 1991.

And here is an initial description of the project: