[casi] Iraq Water Project: How you can help!

Dear List,

The vigorous discussion on the destruction of the Iraqi
infrastructure in 1991, specifically the water system, has
prompted me to search the archives for previous discussions.
The most recent one was in September 2000. Then, as now,
"intent" was disputed by some, especially as a USAF contact
was called upon to comment. (True, the memo on the "Iraq Water
Treatment Vulnerabilities" is not in itself proof of guilt,
but it is proof of detailed foreknowledge.)

Pertinent (in 2000) was a contribution by Felicity Arbuthnot,
who referred to the evidence of Dr. Levenson (of IPPN) at
Ramsey Clark's International Tribunal. Still more pertinent
was a contribution by Ghazwan Al-Mukhtar (Iraq), who
described the situation in detail - as he has done now.

Prof. Nagy has made several contributions to the list. He is
the one who first located this document - and numerous others.
He is the one who has done all the research and he will, no
doubt, deal with the burden of proof.

For us it may be a far more satisfying experience to
actually help the Iraqi people get clean water. The
water supply is still woefully inadequate: based on the
"effectiveness" of 1991, the bombing exercise was repeated
in 1998. And you all know how the sanctions' "holds" _kept_
the clean water supply inadequate.

The best way of helping may be to get involved with the
Iraq Water Project. This Project was started in October 2000
by Veterans for Peace and is still going. You can make a
donation, raise funds, spread the word... or do physical
work with the team in Iraq. The actual work is now not as
intensive as earlier, but it is going.

(And, as one participant says, your also get first-hand
experience of the effects of the genocidal sanctions.)

Helping the Iraqi people directly may also boost our own
morale, especially now as the war drums are booming.
When I wrote to the previous coordinator of the Project, he
said "...the strategic formulation of this project is one
of the things I'm most proud of in this lifetime".

The Iraq Water Project - Results:

     "Clear, clean water coming straight from the tap!"
     "An amazing drink of water in Iraq."

Clearly the volunteers are delighted and so are the
Iraqi families: "On the way back to Basra, Edith asks to
meet a family whose home is served by the newly functioning
water treatment plant and is introduced to this father
and sons." [picture]

Compared to the huge amount of reconstruction that needs
to be done, this volunteer effort may seem negligible. But
the work must go on, writes Tom Sager, the current project
coordinator on December 15, 2002:

     "We really need to keep this project going. I can't
     tell you what a wonderful reception I've had here. If
     nothing else, this project lets people know that are
     people in the US who care about them, and that's very
     important!"

"Report from Iraq", by Tom Sager, December 15, 2002
http://www.iraqwaterproject.com/press/TomsReport1.htm

And here is a description of the plants that have been
repaired:

-----------Fwd Message-----------
http://www.iraqwaterproject.com/plants.htm
The Water Plants

Veterans for Peace managed to raise close to $200,000 to
repair six water treatment facilities which serve a
population of more than 85,000 people. Plus, in a public
display exhibiting support for the civilian population of
Iraq, three [2] teams of US service veterans traveled to
Iraq on their own expenses and worked alongside the Iraqi
laborers who are fixing the water facilities.

The Labbani Plant

A medium to large-sized facility serving 55,000 people.
The water from this plant was only partially treated. [3]
more

Mansouria Al-Shatt in Hebheb village, Town of Baaqooba,
Province of Diyalah

The Mansouria plant is in a rural setting, outside the
village of Hebheb. It is on the Tigris River and serves
about 7,000 people. [4] more

Hai Al-Risalah, Town of Falooja, Province of Al-Anbar

The Hai Al-Risalah plant sits on the Euphrates River
within the town of Falooja. It's small, about the size of
Mansouria. The plant had a leak in the sedimentation tank
and was completely inoperable. The plant serves 15,000
people, four schools and many general service buildings.
[5] more

Hamden Jissir

A smaller facility serving a population of 3,000 people.
Hamdan Jissir was completely inoperable, including its
elevated storage tank. People in the area had to either
buy drinking water or boil water out of a nearby canal.
[6] more

Hamden Balad

The plant is next to a schoolyard. Hamdan Balad only
partially treats its water and then pumps it directly to
the people. 3,000 people in this area now have access to
clean drinking water. [7] more

Abu Floos

Abu Floos is a 600 house town with 5,000 people. The water
treatment plant had only one, small pump left operating,
which pumped untreated river water directly to the people.
[8] more
-----------End-----------

And here is the donation info:

-----------Fwd Message-----------

The Iraq Water Project
http://www.iraqwaterproject.com/intro.htm

Please [6] help and give a tax deductible donation online
6. https://www.donate.net/ccn/basket.asp?dept_id=590

or send a check made out to VFP-Iraq Water Project to:

Veterans for Peace
- Iraq Water Project -
World Community Center
438 North Skinker
St. Louis, MO 63130

Stop the Sanctions! - End the Bombing!
-----------End-----------

You can also contact Tom Sager,
the project coordinator at:
tomsager@yahoo.com

"Tom's a truly good sort", says the previous coordinator.

A retired university professor, Tom Sager "speaks little,
hears more, and works even more", says a project participant.

Separately, I will post background on the Iraq Water Project,
in case someone is interested.

Let's go?
Elga Sutter

P.S. Here are some other links: