Re: [casi] (Bert Gedin) targeting of water treatment facilities

Dr Leon Eisenberg of Harvard Medical School noted that the destruction of
the country's power plants in 1991 'brought its entire system of water
purification and distribution to a halt, leading to epidemics of cholera,
typhoid fever and gastroenteritis, particualrly among children.'  'There
were approximately 47,000 excess deaths among children under five years of
age during the first eight months of 1991. The deaths resulted from
infectious diseases, the decreased quality and availability of food and
water and an enfeebled medical care system hampered by the lack of drugs and
supplies. '(Leon Eisenberg, MD 'The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters -
Human Costs of Economic Sanctions', New England Journal of Medicine, Volume
336(17)24 April 1997, pp1248-1250(Quoted in 'War Plan Iraq', by Milan Rai,
Arrow Publications). The destruction of the clean water system was
inevitable given the destruction of power supplies.  The US says it did not
mean to destroy the power stations - it was simply aiming to disable them in
the short-term and additional damage was a result of 'the heat of battle.'
I suggest that this is about as plausible as Saddam saying that he did not
mean to target civilians when he bombed Halabja. If he said his 'intention'
was to kill only combatants would we demand written evidence of an
'intention' to kill civilians on his part?