Re: [casi] targeting of water treatment facilities

The document can be seen at
www.gulflink.osd.mil/declassdocs/dia/19950901/950901_511rept_91.html

It contains no mention whatsoever of bombing or targeting. It is
simply, as its title indicates, an assessment of Iraqi water treatment
vulnerabilities, and the focus is on the fact that UN SANCTIONS make
adequate water supply impossible. What it shows is that the US knew
from the outset that Iraq was in desperate humanitarian trouble due to
the sanctions. This is damning enough. It shows nothing and says nothing
about bombing or targeting. It is wrong to imply that it does.

Eric

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:48:17 +0000 Bert Gedin <gedinbert@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Ruth, Andrew & List,
>
> Firstly, apols for my computer illiteracy - I would have preferred to e-mail
> you all this very relevant article, directly. In Sunday Herald (Scotland),
> Sept.17, 2000. Prof. J. Nagy, of George Washingtom University, is
> interviewed. Seems he came accross a 7-page document, entitled "Iraq Water
> Treatment Vulnerabilities", prepared by 'US Defense Intelligence Agency',
> issued the day after the Gulf War had started, & circulated to all major
> allied Commands. Seems the allies had bombing campaigns on Iraq's 8
> multi-purpose dams, these were repeatedly hit. In all, makes very sinister
> reading (i.e. the Herald report, haven't yet seen the Defense document). For
> more information, try this website:
>
> http://www.mobtown.org/news/archive/msg00885.html
>
> Greetings,
>
> Bert Gedin (Birmingham, UK).
>

> >From: Ruth Blakeley <ruth_blakeley@yahoo.co.uk>
> >To: Andrew Goreing <amg@newnham.org>, casi-discuss@lists.casi.org.uk
> >Subject: Re: [casi] targeting of water treatment facilities
> >Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:02:22 +0000 (GMT)
> >

> >[ Presenting plain-text part of multi-format email ]
> >

> >Thanks to Andrew for raising his questions in relation to my paper on US
> >targeting during the last Gulf War.  As he points out, I found no
> >admittance in the US Gulf War Air Power Surveys that the air campaign had
> >deliberately targeted water treatment facilities, and little discussion of
> >any collateral damge, although Ramsey Clark's report does states that such
> >facilities were extensively bombed.  I did therefore dismiss that these
> >were deliberately targeted. However, I am open to being persuaded otherwise
> >if there is evidence of either targeting of water treatment (eventhough
> >this is not mentioned as a target in the GWAPS) or whether there was
> >extensive collateral damage to Iraq water treatment facitilities.  If there
> >was, could and should measures have been taken to limit this?  I'm sure the
> >sensitivity of this matter makes it hard to get at the truth.
> >Thank you
> >Ruth
> >  Andrew Goreing <amg@newnham.org> wrote:Does anyone have any further
> >evidence on the following?
> >
> >I read Ruth Blakeley's message (23 Jan, Re: [casi] Dual crisis looms for
> >millions in Iraq) with interest and followed up her paper Bomb Now, Die
> >Later (available at http://www.civilwarfare.co.uk/)
> >
> >According to Ruth the GWAPS (Gulf War Air Power Surveys) provides no
> >evidence that sewage treatment or water purification plants were targeted
> >by
> >the 1991 allied air campaign. She discounts the report of Ramsey Clark that
> >
> >"In all areas we visited, and all other areas reported to us, municipal
> >water processing plants, pumping stations and even reservoirs have been
> >bombed".
> >
> >Presumably the sentence she quotes from the 1996 WHO report that refers to

> [...]

----------------------
Dr. Eric Herring
Department of Politics
University of Bristol
10 Priory Road
Bristol BS8 1TU
England, UK
Office tel. +44-(0)117-928-8582
Mobile tel. +44-(0)7771-966608
Fax +44-(0)117-973-2133
eric.herring@bristol.ac.uk
http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Politics
http://www.ericherring.com/

Join the Network of Activist Scholars
of Politics and International Relations (NASPIR)!