RE: [casi] Interviewing Inspectors Follow-up

Hi Andrew,

Security Council resolutions generally are not primarily concerned with
individuals' rights and responsibilities.  Instead, their focus tends to be
on those of national governments and other bodies (e.g. the Taliban, or
UNITA).

The terrorism resolution passed after 11 September has created some
difficulties in its establishment of lists of suspected terrorists: What
controls are there over the means by which names are added to that list?
What right of appeal do people named have?  What recompense in the event of
having been falsely named?

1441 also has implications for individual rights, as you note.  Unmovic and
the IAEA have not wanted to act as 'abduction agencies'.  At the same time,
an inability to interview scientists in safe environments reduces
inspections' effectiveness.

All this is further complicated by the Iraqi government's very clear signals
that it disapproves of scientists leaving the country.

Best,

Colin Rowat

work | Room 406, Department of Economics | The University of Birmingham |
Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK | web.bham.ac.uk/c.rowat | (+44/0) 121 414 3754 |
(+44/0) 121 414 7377 (fax) | c.rowat@bham.ac.uk

personal | (+44/0) 7768 056 984 (mobile) | (+44/0) 7092 378 517 (fax) |
(707) 221 3672 (US fax) | c.rowat@espero.org.uk