[casi] SEPTEMBER 11th FAMILY MEMBERS TO VISIT IRAQ;

News Release - For immediate release ­ January 2, 2003

SEPTEMBER 11th FAMILY MEMBERS TO VISIT IRAQ;

People-to-People Delegation Will Highlight the Human Face of War

CARY, NORTH CAROLINA ­ Bolstered by Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s assertion
that "wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows," family
members of September 11 victims will travel to Iraq from January
5-14, 2003, to make public their conviction that war will not bring peaceful
tomorrows to that nation, to the Middle East region, or to the United
States. The four-member delegation represents September 11 Families for
Peaceful Tomorrows, an advocacy group seeking effective, non-violent
alternatives to war and terrorism.

     Recognizing that innocent civilians are often the ones most deeply
affected by military action, the family members will bear witness to the
conditions of Iraqi civilians while also acknowledging the price American
civilians will pay. Increasing anti-U.S. sentiment, the possibility of
future terrorist attacks, injury and death to U.S. military personnel and
the harsh economic consequences of spending billions on military
intervention are all deemed likely consequences of this war.

    "It has struck me how many people in this country were so very moved by
the New York Times OPortraits of Grief,¹² said Peaceful Tomorrows¹ Colleen
Kelly, who lost her brother, Bill Kelly, Jr., at the World Trade Center on
September 11. ³We all got to see the faces and learn about the lives of
those lost on September 11th. I'm going to Iraq for this very same reason. I
want to see the faces of the Iraqi people. I want to learn about their
lives. I want to understand that Iraq is not just one man, Saddam Hussein,
but many, many people, with hopes and dreams and families, just like my
brother.²

     While in Iraq, the delegation plans to visit service and humanitarian
aid projects, including hospitals and clinics, schools and orphanages, and
water treatment facilities. They will also talk to civilians, share their
stories of losing loved ones on September 11, 2001, and explain why they
united to turn their grief into action for peace.

     Upon returning to the United States on January 14, the group will
commemorate Rev. King's birthday by speaking out as widely as possible about
the need to avoid war in order to spare additional innocent families, be
they Iraqi civilians or the families of U.S. military personnel, the
suffering experienced by September 11 families.

     "Rev. King recognized the connections between war and poverty, between
war and the diminishing of human rights," said Terry Kay Rockefeller, who
lost her sister, Laura Rockefeller, at the World Trade Center. "We hope our
search for non-violent alternatives to war in Iraq will help to build trust
within the global community so that it becomes possible to truly end
terrorism and war, in all of their manifestations."

     Kristina Olsen, who lost her sister, Laurie Neira, on Flight 11, said,
"I am traveling to Iraq as a witness for peace. I feel a deep sense of moral
responsibility, both as a citizen of the global community, and as a person
who lost a loved one on September 11, to promote the message of peace ­by
bearing witness to the suffering of innocent people, as well as by working
toward creating an opening for constructive, non-violent approaches to
dealing with conflict in our world. This I feel is the most meaningful way I
can honor the memory of my sister."

     ³My hope is that all people will come to realize that loss of more
human life will not solve the problems of the world,² added Kathleen Tinley,
who lost her uncle, Michael Tinley, at the World Trade Center.

     September 11 Families for Peaceful Tomorrows was launched on February
14, 2002, and today includes 50 family members directly affected by
September 11, as well as 2,000 supporters. Its mission is to seek effective
nonviolent solutions to terrorism, and to acknowledge the shared experience
of September 11 families with all people similarly affected by violence
throughout the world. By conscientiously exploring peaceful options in their
search for justice, the group¹s members choose to spare additional innocent
families the suffering that they have already experienced, as well as to
break the endless cycle of violence and retaliation engendered by war. In
doing so, they hope to create a safer world for themselves and for their
children.

For more information: http://www.peacefultomorrows.org

sign the pledge of resistance to the "war on terrorism"
www.j-n-v.org