Re: [casi] Churchill, gas and the Kurds

Dear Daithi,

About Churchill, whether or not he used gas against Kurds & others. This not
a new topic, but, as you rightly point out, historic evidence & reliable
sources are called for. It would seem the facts go against 'Man of the
Century'(or similar), Winston Churchill. And, some would say, "notorious"
bomber of Dresden, Sir Arthur "Bomber" Harris and others. From Geoff Simon's
'Iraq: From Sumer to Saddam', St. Martin's Press, 1994, referred to in
'British Use of Chemical Weapons in Iraq', on this site:
http://iraqwar.org/chemical.htm

"Churchill himself was keen to argue that gas, fired from ground-based guns
or dropped from aircraft, would cause 'only discomfort or illness, but not
death to dissident tribespeople'...Wing-Commander Sir Arthur Harris...was
happy to emphasise that "The Arab & Kurd now know what real bombing means in
casualties & damage. Within 45 mins. a full-size village can be practically
wiped out & a third of its inhabitants killed or injured"...The ministry
drew up a list of possible weapons, some of them the forerunners of napalm &
air-to-air ground missiles:
Phosphorus bombs, war rockets, metal crowsfeet (to maim livestock),
man-killing shrapnel, liquid fire, delay-action bombs. Many of these weapons
were first used in Kurdistan."

Hopefully, this (from the colonial rule of Britain in Iraq) would have
answered some of your questions.

Greetings,

Bert Gedin (Birmingham, U.K.).