From: <john.hemming@jhc.co.uk>
To: <casi-discuss@lists.casi.org.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 5:59 PM
Subject: Re: [casi] Iraq - what next?

Dear Tim,

We probably don't disagree on as many points as appeared to be the case from
your first Email.

I am not a pacifist.   I would like to see an end to the Ba'th regime.  I
would like to see a democratic Iraq.
We are in a world that is getting more and more polarised.  I accept that I
do not go as far as you would like on issues.  I also accept that you are
not asking anyone else to do any more than yourself.

The difficulty as I see it is that we are in a situation in which unless
work is done prior to any military action starting then there will be no
alternative to the Bush/Blair mass destruction option.  I think it is
possible to influence that, but part of that process is identifying things
that are important within that.  We are issuing a consultation document at
the moment to various people to find out what they think is important. We
are then collating that to bring forward a set of points/proposals.

That includes (along with other issues)
a) Don't use Depleted Uranium.
b) Don't bomb the Al Jazeera office (cf Kabul).
c) Look for mechanisms to enable the Iraqi armed forces to surrender easily
rather than be bombed out of existance.
d) Protect people from potential massacres that could result from a power
vacuum.  (we believe that there are people who are at risk of being
massacred because of their association with the regime.  The opposition are
offering most of them an amnesty, but there needs to be a mechanism for them
to surrender to an External (to Iraq) Authority for them to have confidence
in their personal security and that of their families.)
e) Don't bomb civilian infrastructure.

If anyone has any further suggestions could they please email me with them.

Quoting from our consultation paper:
Without question the best approach for Iraq would be one in which Iraq moves
to democracy without any military action.  The Iraqi people have suffered
enough from both the Ba'th regime and also the actions of Western Nations
over the past 30 years.  That, however, is not a decision for us to make.