[casi] Wall Street Journal, Iraq & al Qaeda

Dear Laurie Mylroie:

The argument below contains specious reasoning.  Iraq and al Qaeda
really don't see eye to eye.  Otherwise, up to the Gulf War, why would
Iraqi women be liberated enough to comprise "46 percent of all teachers,
29 percent of physicians, 46 percent of dentists, 70 percent of
pharmacists, 15 percent of accountants, 14 percent of factory workers
and 16 percent of civil servants"?  These statistics are from Samir
al-Khalil's (a.k.a. Kanan Makiya) The Republic of Fear.  The author goes
on to say,
"It has even been claimed that in the Ministry of Oil in 1980, 37
percent of the design staff and 30 percent of the construction
supervisors were women."

Al Qaeda would not need a connection with Saddam Hussein to prompt more
terrorism on America.  The motive could be simply hatred of perceived
injustice to their brothers and sisters in Islam.

Regards, Suzy Kane