[casi] Warzone Whitehall final- 35 arrests at whitehall anti war blockade

Press Release 17:30
 Voices in the Wilderness
 Call Voices 0845 458 2564/ 0794 7839992

                  35 arrests at whitehall anti war blockade.

 35 anti war activists have been arrested for highway obstruction at
'Warzone Whitehall',
a nonviolent  die in against the war and sanctions on Iraq. The activists
were among a
crowd of 250, including comedian Mark Thomas and Euro MP Caroline Lucas,
who gathered at whitehall place at 10.30 am and blocked part of whitehall
from 11 am until 4pm.

Some have now been released, bailed to appear at Bow Street magistrates this
thursday 5th december 10 am.

The remaining activists joined Brian Haw, who has been camped out on
Parliament square for the past 18 months protesting against sanctions on
Iraq.
One activist Rosy Bremner twice gained access to the cabinet office.
On one occasion she met Robin Cook MP and told him of her views on Iraq.

Among those arrested was Voices in the Wilderness joint co ordinator Gabriel
Carlyle,
who visited Iraq in a sanctions breaking Voices in the Wilderness
demonstartion in may 2002.

Activists carried placards and banners reading "Iraqi Lives in the firing
line- no war on Iraq.",  "War kills the innocent. Don't attack Iraq.", and
 "1 in 11 countries bombed by the Pentagon.". While some women dressed
in black wailed in mourning, a soundtrack played the sound of bombs
 and explosions the Iraqis will face .

The action was good natured and peaceful.

Mark Thomas said, "I hope other people who oppose the war will consider
 their positions and consider whether they should put their liberty on the
 line so the voices and principles of peace can be heard."

 Caroline Lucas said, "It's been a very effective action, representing the
 huge feeling against this war in Britain. We are making the case to Tony
 Blair as vividly as possible of the suffering he will inflict on the
 22million people of Iraq. This war would be illegal and counterproductive.
 We have to use every non-violent measure available to register our
protest"

 Richard Byrne, Voices spokesperson said, "This is just the start. 2000
 people in the UK have signed a pledge (1) to engage in civil disobedience
if
 this war starts. Life in Britain cannot go on as normal while the British
 Government supports war on Iraq."

 Call Voices 0845 458 2564/ 0794 7839992

 voices@viwuk.freeserve.co.uk        www.viwuk.freeserve.co.uk

(1)See (a) Pledge of Resistance -www.j-n-v.org,  1101 signatories for action