Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:07:17 -0000
From: Jeremy Paxman <jeremy.paxman@bbc.co.uk>
Subject: FW: Newsnight 19/11/02 re Iraq
Sender: Jeremy Paxman <jeremy.paxman@bbc.co.uk>
To: "'eric.herring@bristol.ac.uk'"
<eric.herring@bristol.ac.uk>

George Entwistle passed your email on to me. I think you may be right. My
mistake. Sorry.

Jeremy Paxman

Dear Mr. Entwhistle

In last night's Newsnight (19 November), Jeremy Paxman wrongly described the
Operation Desert Fox bombing of Iraq in December 1998 as a 'response' to the
withdrawal of the UN weapon inspectors. In fact, the withdrawal of the
inspectors was a response to the US decision with British support to bomb
Iraq. On p. 224 of his memoir 'Saddam Defiant, Richard Butler, then chief
weapon inspector, writes: 'I received a telephone call from U.S. Ambassador
Peter Burleigh inviting me for a private conversation at the US mission
[...] Burleigh informed me that on instructions from Washington it would be
'prudent to take measures to ensure the safety and security of UNSCOM staff
presently in Iraq.' [...] I told him that I would act on this advice and
remove my staff from Iraq.' Butler made this decision without informing the
Security Council. The real sequence of events raises awkward questions about
US policy which do not arise from the Mr. Paxman's inaccurate version of
events.

Yours sincerely

Dr. Eric Herring
Senior Lecturer in International Politics

----------------------

Department of Politics
University of Bristol
10 Priory Road