Interview with Saddam: U.S. out to destroy centers of Arab
power

Middle East Media Research Institute

Tuesday, November 5, 2002

Following are excerpts from an interview with Iraq's
President Saddam Hussein conducted by Sayyid Nassar of the
Egyptian opposition weekly Al-Usbou and published on Nov.
3.

Nassar: "Mr. President, what exactly does the U.S. want
from Iraq?"

Saddam: "The U.S. wants to destroy the centers of power in
the Arab world, regardless of whether the center of power
is in Damascus or Baghdad! Look around you and see what is
happening in the region. See what is happening in southern
Sudan, efforts to separate the south from the north and to
influence our big sister Egypt, its national security, and
the overall national security of the Arab nation!!"

"Look and see what is happening in Algiers, see what
happened and is still happening in Somalia and all the
countries in the Horn of Africa. See what is going on in
Palestine and what Sharon is doing to our Palestinian
brothers. All this exposes the scope of the conspiracy
against our Arab nation."

Nassar: "Mr. President, if we go from the general to the
specific, what does the U.S. want from Iraq?"

Saddam: "The U.S. wants to impose its hegemony on the Arab
world, and as a prelude it wants to control Iraq and then
strike the capitals that oppose it and revolt against its
hegemony. From Baghdad, which will be under military
control, it will strike Damascus and Tehran. It will
fragment them and will cause major problems to Saudi
Arabia. It is trying to create small entities controlled
by safe-keepers working for the U.S., so that no country
will be larger than Israel, quantitatively and
qualitatively. This way the Arab oil will be under its
control and the region, especially the oil sources
・after the destruction of Afghanistan ・will be under
total control of the U.S. All these things serve the
Israeli interests, and based on this strategy the purpose
is to make Israel into a large empire in the area."

"Iraq's problem is that it opposes all these conspiracies,
and the others do not understand that we are defending
[them]. Everyone should know that no one will be safe from
[the conspiracies] that are being hatched now against
Iraq. All, from the point of view of the U.S. and Israel,
are the same and what will happen to us, will happen to
the others later."

Nassar: "Does the fragmentation conspiracy concern Saudi
Arabia and the Gulf countries?"

Saddam: "I am not (sic) one of those who think that Saudi
Arabia will be divided and that Yemen or Oman will benefit
[from that], or that there are efforts to eliminate some
of the Sheikhdoms or Emirates in the Gulf. To the
contrary, I think that the model of the small Sheikhdoms
and Emirates will expand in the region.

Therefore, all the large countries such as Iraq, Syria or
Saudi Arabia will be divided into small Emirates, and the
oil resources will be in the hands of midget-countries in
a way that will serve the interests of the U.S., which
will gain complete control over the oil fields from
Algiers through the countries of the Caspian Sea. After
dominating Afghanistan, [the U.S.] is getting ready now to
dominate Iraq, Iran and Syria."

On the difference between North Korea's nuclear program
and Iraq's
Nassar: "Mr. President, two weeks ago North Korea
admitted, or more accurately announced without any
pressure, that it had a nuclear program. Nevertheless, we
did not see or hear any hostile American reaction similar
to the American reaction towards Iraq, despite the fact
that Iraq declared that it did not have WMD and the
international inspectors confirmed that. Despite that, the
U.S. is directing its strike against Iraq only. What is
the meaning of that in your opinion?"

Saddam: "In short, North Korea does not have oil. This is
first. Secondly, North Korea is not Israel's enemy, and is
not close to it [geographically]."

Nassar: "Mr. President, I want to ask you something that I
already know, but would like your confirmation. Do you
have Kuwaiti prisoners that you did not release as yet,
knowing that Kuwait is demanding their release as a
condition for reconciliation?"

Saddam: "You know, and everyone else knows, that I issued
a decision to release all prisoners, political and
criminal, Arab and Iraqis. Except for the spies who worked
for Israel and the U.S. We released even murderers, on
condition that an agreement was reached between the
families of the murderers and the families of the victims,
and that the amnesty was the will of both sides. The jails
in Iraq became the only jails in the world, and in
history, without occupants."