Re: [casi] The US and coercion..

As much as anyone would like to believe otherwise,
there is only one thing that was holding France and
Russia back from agreeing with the US invasion of
Iraq:  money.  It had nothing to do with compassion,
or concern for innocent civilians.  These countries
both had serious money invested with Saddam and wanted
a return on investment.  Well, it looks like they got
what they wanted, so let the bombs begin!!!

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/archive/7-11-19102-0-6-36.html

Sharing the oil is key to a deal
IAN BRUCE Analysis
THE key to calming French and Russian fears over the
White House's hard-line approach to a UN security
council vote on Iraq later this week, is the
post-Saddam control of the country's vast untapped
reserves of oil.

Moscow, Paris and to a lesser extent Beijing all have
vested interests in multi-billion-pound contracts to
develop and maintain fields which contain the world's
second-largest source of crude after neighbouring
Saudi Arabia.

Russia's Lukoil has the largest potential stake, with
a 23-year deal worth £2bn to exploit the West Qurnah
field. France's TotalFinaElf is negotiating to develop
the Majnoon field and its 30 billion barrels of black
gold.

China's state-owned national petroleum corporation has
a contract to repair and bring back on stream part of
the Rumailah production area damaged in the 1991 Gulf
war.

All three governments suspect that toppling Saddam and
installing a US-controlled military administration
would lead inevitably to a carve-up of the oil riches
among American corporations to the exclusion of their
own firms.

The importance of Iraq's embarrassment of underground
riches has now become George W Bush's best bargaining
chip in the tortuous negotiations over the wording of
the final UN resolution as a probable prelude to war.

James Woolsey, former director of the CIA, favours
dangling the carrot of involvement as an incentive to
follow the US line.

He said: "France and Russia have oil companies and
interests in Iraq. They should be told that, if they
are of assistance in moving Iraq towards decent
government, then we'll do the best we can to ensure
that the new administration in Baghdad and US
companies work closely with them.

"If they throw in their lot with Saddam, or oppose his
downfall, then it could be difficult to the point of
impossibility to persuade the new, democratic Iraqi
government to work with them."

Faisal Qaragholi, an oil engineer who directs the
London office of the Iraqi National Congress, the
umbrella opposition group backed by the US, added: "We
will review all existing contracts. Our oil policies
should be directed by a government elected by the
Iraqi people for their benefit."

Viktor Kremenyuk, deputy-director of the USA-Canada
institute in Moscow, said last night: "Resolving the
Iraq problem is all about the rivalry surrounding the
country's oil bonanza. How it is managed is the key."

- Nov 7th