RE: [casi] Amnesty In Baghdad

Greetings,

Given recent reports of rapprochement between the government of Iraq and
dissidents, it seems that there has been a shift towards democracy in Iraq,
and this should be acknowledged by the anti-sanctions movement as soon as
possible. Naturally, Iraq will not negotiate with CIA-funded opposition
movements, however, this is what the US will focus on as proof that there is
no move towards democracy. It is up to the anti-sanctions movement to
carefully track this new development towards open-ness. If it happened in the
former Soviet Union, it can happen in Iraq. And we should ask, why doesn't the
US give amnesty to its own political prisoners, such as Leonard Peltier, the
Native American activist? The US currently holds 2 million prisoners, mostly
African Americans and other non-Whites, many of them held on minor drug
charges; the most prisoners per capita than any time in US history, and a
clear violation of their rights,
Sincerely,
Philippa Winkler

>===== Original Message From VnStroope@aol.com =====
>[ Presenting plain-text part of multi-format email ]
>

>EXTRA! EXTRA! DOZENS PROTEST IN BAGHDAD - (p.s. saddam emptied all the
>prisons).
>
>Filed October 24, 2002 By Jeremy Scahill
>

>BAGHDAD—There's no doubt about it-the small-scale protests that broke out
in
>front of Iraq's Ministry of Information earlier this week were extraordinary.
>No one here can recall a moment when any group of people for any reason
>staged a spontaneous demonstration here in Baghdad. Last week, the very idea
>of a demonstration that could be construed even remotely as having an
>anti-government tone would have sent shudders through almost any Iraqi asked
>the question "what if…" It still does.
>

>Last Sunday's announcement by Iraqi President Saddam Hussein that he was
>granting a <A HREF="http://www.iraqjournal.org/journals/021020.html">complete
and immediate amnesty</A> for nearly all the country's
> [...]
>mainly songs of praise to Saddam Hussein. Many people had looks of total
>disbelief on their faces, clearly shocked at the scene. Cars stopped in the
>middle of the highway in front of the prison, as many simply abandoned their
>vehicles to join the crowd.
>
>What is extraordinary about the last week here in Iraq is that Saddam
>Hussein, released almost every prisoner in the country. Not just a few
>hundred for the cameras, not just shoplifters and purse-snatchers. He
>released almost every prisoner. Regardless of the motive or reason, it was
>incredible, unprecedented. Only Cuba at the time of the 1980 Mariel boatlift
>comes even close, and that was a remote second. Remember, this is THE Saddam
>we're talking about.
>

>Incredibly, New York Times correspondent John Burns reported "Many prisoners
>thanked President Bush for their liberty, seeing it as the government's
>response to Mr. Bush's description of Mr. Hussein as a murdering tyrant."
>

>Many prisoners thanked Bush? Is he kidding? "Many" implies that thousands
>must have been rushing up to Burns (on the day of their "liberation" back
>into "Saddam's Iraq") to make sure that The Times relayed their message back
>to the Oval Office (which is currently threatening to destroy Iraq). Even if
>Burns had managed to hunt down that handful of Iraqis who do have affection
>for the US president, none of them would have been stupid enough on that day,
>when they had just hit "freedom," to come out swinging at Saddam and praising
>Bush to an American reporter. And "many" is a flat-out fairytale.
>

>Then there is the issue of the salivating journalists, eager to show that
>"the regime" is teetering on the brink.
>

>The Boston Globe reported, "Diplomats suggested that the protest represented
>a potential fissure in the government's iron grip." The paper quotes an
>unnamed "western diplomat" as saying the protest indicated a "lack of
>discipline, losing grip, losing control."
>

>At the end of the day, the "demonstrations" by a few dozen people out-scooped
>the incredible story of Saddam’s having just virtually emptied the
country's
>prisons.
>

>The press coverage of these small "protests" in Baghdad of families of the
>unaccounted for prisoners is probably one of the most extensive pieces of
>reportage ever done on families of the "disappeared." Where are these stories
>for the 1,300 Serbs still missing in Kosovo? Every day the families protest
>in Belgrade. Or the countless families in Central and South America, whose
>loved ones disappeared in murderous rampages by US-trained and supported
>security forces and paramilitary death squads? Or the countless Timorese
>"disappeared" by the US-backed regime in Jakarta? Or the families of
>prisoners now held in INS "detention" in the US and Guantanamo? If only this
>media blitzkrieg was applied when it does not directly pander to George W.

independent journalist, who reports for the nationally
HREF="http://www.iraqjournal.org/jacquiebio.html">Jacquie Soohen</A> are
coordinating <A HREF="http://www.iraqjournal.org/">Iraqjournal.org</A>,