Re: [casi] Recent Amnesty

Dear Rahul

I am quite shocked to hear that people are avoiding
discussion of this sort of issues.  I think that those
who are concerned about the livelihood of the Iraqi
people should naturally be concerned about the impact
of the recent amnesty on the Iraqi society, if not the
wider political implications.

We heard many reports that a lot of prisoners being
released are political prisoners (or as you claim,
most of them).  My question is quite simply whether we
should believe these reports?  We can deduce of course
that a highly punitive and despotic regime like Iraq
must have locked up a lot of dissidents and that they
may constitute a majority of the prison population but
these are no more than deductions.  Are deductions the
best that we can do at this moment?

I have never been to Iraq but I imagine that organised
crime, as in other Arab/Muslim societies, is generally
not a problem.  But would the current Iraqi regime
provide catalyst for its thriving among the released
prisoners, given the current state of economy?  Or
could, for example, these prisoners be turned into
guerilla in case of an American invasion, given the
recent rise of religious fundamentalism?  These we
will not know of course unless we work in the Iraqi
government (or maybe those who work in the Iraqi
government and on this list can let us know); but
maybe the more knowledgeable among us can make an
intelligent deduction?

Best regards

Jiale
Message: 5