[casi] RE: Please Help With French Translation - Chirac Interview Iraq Excerpts

> I'm especially interested in Chirac's comments regarding Iraq.  Below the
> BBC-related footnote you will find the full French excerpts.  ...
> Are there any Members would might be willing to translate them for the
> list?

Thanks Nathaniel.  As a technical response, Altavista's Babelfish, the
online translation facility (babelfish.altavista.com) often gives good first
attempts for the languages that it handles.  It can translate full web pages
or directly entered passages, as desired.  I've run Chirac's responses
through it, touching them up where the result is still obscure.  I append
the result.  In cases where I think that I've missed a nuance, I've left a
"?"

Colin Rowat

work | Room 406, Department of Economics | The University of Birmingham |
Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK | web.bham.ac.uk/c.rowat | (+44/0) 121 414 3754 |
(+44/0) 121 414 7377 (fax) | c.rowat@bham.ac.uk

personal | (+44/0) 7768 056 984 (mobile) | (+44/0) 7092 378 517 (fax) |
(707) 221 3672 (US fax) | c.rowat@espero.org.uk

> JACQUES CHIRAC: Nul n’ignore que le Moyen-Orient constitue une zone
> majeure de réserves et de production d’hydrocarbures. Il représente
> aujourd’hui 65 % des réserves mondiales, et cette proportion est en hausse
> du fait du tarissement prévisible des réserves hors Golfe. L’Irak, pour sa
> part, détient aujourd’hui environ 10 % des réserves mondiales.

No one ignores that the Middle East constitutes a major zone of hydrocarbon
reserves and production. It currently represents 65 % of the world reserves,
and this proportion is rising because of the foreseeable drying up of the
reserves outside the Gulf.  Iraq, for its part, currently holds
approximately 10 % of the world reserves.

> Pour autant, le problème aujourd’hui posé par l’Irak à la communauté
> internationale n’est pas celui de ses capacités pétrolières. Il s’agit en
> effet de répondre à la menace potentielle que représente l’Irak, avec le
> risque de prolifération des armes de destruction massive. Le régime de
> Bagdad a utilisé de telles armes par le passé. Aujourd’hui un certain
> nombre d’indices peuvent laisser penser que, depuis près de quatre ans, en
> l’absence des inspecteurs internationaux, ce pays a poursuivi des
> programmes d’armement. La prolifération des armes de destruction massive
> constitue une menace pour l’ensemble de la planète. Notre sécurité dépend
> de notre capacité à traiter collectivement ce risque majeur. Sur ce
> dossier, pas plus que sur les autres, notre politique n’est pas de ménager
> l’Irak : nous avons toujours demandé la stricte application des
> résolutions des Nations unies.

However, the problem posed by Iraq to the international community today is
not that of its oil capacities.  It is to put in place a response [?] to the
potential threat that Iraq represents with the risk of proliferation of
weapons of mass destruction.  The regime in Baghdad used such weapons in the
past.  Today, some indicators can let one think that, after nearly four
years of absence by the international inspectors, this country continues its
armament programmes.  The proliferation of weapons of mass destruction
constitutes a threat for the whole planet. Our safety depends on our
capacity to treat this major risk collectively. On this file, not more than
on the others, our policy is not of sparing Iraq: we always asked for the
strict application of the resolutions of the United Nations.

> Je tiens à souligner que de nombreux pays commercent avec l’Irak, y
> compris d’ailleurs les États-Unis. Le commerce franco-irakien se déroule
> dans le cadre strict des résolutions du Conseil de sécurité, et nous
> sommes particulièrement vigilants quant au respect de ce dispositif
> juridique.  L’Irak n’occupe au demeurant qu’une place modeste dans notre
> commerce extérieur.

I make a point of stressing that many countries trade with Iraq, including
the United States.  Franco-Iraqi trade occurs within the strict framework of
the Security Council Resolutions, and we are particularly vigilant with
respect to this legal device.  Iraq doesn't play more than a modest role in
our foreign trade.

> En 2001, l’Irak n’a été que le 53e client et le 39e fournisseur de la
> France, représentant 0,2 % de nos exportations et 0,3 % de nos
> importations.

In 2001, Iraq was only the 53rd customer of and the 39th supplier to France,
representing 0.2 % of our exports and 0.3 % of our imports.

> JACQUES CHIRAC: L’accès immédiat des inspecteurs à l’ensemble des sites,
> sans condition et sans restriction, constitue la garantie indispensable de
> l’efficacité et de la crédibilité des inspections de l’Onu. Cette exigence
> figure d’ailleurs dans toutes les résolutions existantes. L’Irak a dit
> accepter tous les droits des inspecteurs sans condition, et les
> arrangements pratiques de la reprise des inspections ont été clarifiés à
> Vienne. Si MM.  Blix et el-Baradei estiment toutefois qu’un certain nombre
> de questions doivent être encore précisées, que des garanties
> supplémentaires doivent être obtenues sur certains points, nous sommes
> tout à fait disposés à examiner leurs demandes et à prendre en compte leur
> avis, dans le cadre du Conseil de sécurité, qui est le seul cadre légitime
> pour traiter du problème irakien.

Immediate access of the inspectors to all of the sites, without condition
and restriction, constitutes the essential guarantee of the efficacy and the
credibility of the UN inspections.  This requirement appears in all the
existing resolutions.  Iraq has said that it accepts [?] all the rights of
the inspectors without condition, and practical arrangements of the
resumption of the inspections were clarified in Vienna. If Messrs Blix and
el-Baradei estimate however that some questions must still be made more
precise, that additional guarantees must be obtained on certain points, we
are completely been willing to examine their requests and to take into
account their opinion, within the framework of the Security Council, which
is the only legitimate framework to deal with Iraqi problem.

> JACQUES CHIRAC: Notre responsabilité est de veiller à la stabilité au
> Moyen-Orient. Avec la crise irakienne, c’est la région tout entière qui
> est menacée. Le Moyen-Orient est au cœur de l’arc de crise qui s’étend de
> la Méditerranée orientale à l’Asie du Sud-Ouest : zone dans laquelle les
> fractures politiques, économiques et sociales sont multiples. Nous avons
> tous en mémoire les multiples conflits, internes et internationaux, qui
> ont ébranlé cette région depuis plus de cinquante ans.

Our responsibility is to take care of stability in the Middle East. With the
Iraqi crisis, it's the whole area which is threatened.  The Middle East is
at the heart of the arc of crisis which extends from the Eastern
Mediterranean to South-west Asia: a zone in which the political, economic
and social fractures are multiple.  We have all in memory the multiple
conflicts, internal and international, which have shaken this area for more
than fifty years.

> Au moment où l’impasse du conflit israélo-palestinien alimente les
> sentiments de frustration et d’injustice parmi les peuples de la région,
> et où nous sommes engagés dans une lutte de longue haleine contre le
> terrorisme, nous devons être vigilants et mettre tout en œuvre pour que
> soit gagné le pari de la sécurité dans la paix.

At the time when the standodf in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict feeds the
feelings of frustration and injustice among the people of the area, and
where we are engaged in a long-term fight against terrorism, we must be
vigilant and put all into the effort so that the bet of safety in peace is
won.

> JACQUES CHIRAC: À ma connaissance, aucune preuve n’a été trouvée, ou en
> tous les cas rendue officielle, d’un lien entre l’Irak et el-Qaëda. Même
> si certains terroristes ont pu trouver refuge en Irak, il ne faut pas
> mélanger les sujets. L’objectif prioritaire de l’action de la communauté
> internationale, s’agissant de l’Irak, doit être le désarmement. En
> revanche, on ne peut exclure que des groupes terroristes n’utilisent
> l’affaire irakienne comme prétexte à de nouvelles actions et comme
> argument de propagande.

To my knowledge, no proof has been found, or in any case made official, of a
bond between Iraq and el-Qaëda.  Even if certain terrorists took refuge in
Iraq, one should not mix the subjects.  The first objective of the action of
the international community, with respect to Iraq, is its disarmament.  On
the other hand, one cannot exclude the possibility that terrorist groups
will use the Iraqi situation as a pretext for new actions and propaganda
arguments.