[casi] Legal Question about overthrowing a government???

Dear Friends,
      Tonight I went to see a film called "The Trial of Henry Kissinger".On September 11
2001, a family from Chile filed a law suit against Mr. Kissinger for the murder of their father,
which was believed to be ordered by Kissinger. It was overshadowed in the media by the events of
9/11. What was brought out in this film (among other things) was that the coup which put Pinochet
into power in Chile was facilitated by the CIA and Kissinger. The film gave me the impression that
this was illegal under International and American law. So here is my question to any one who is
familiar with the legal system???
     In the NY Times today Tuesday, on the front page in an article about the UN in that France and
China and Russia are holding out. (PLEASE WRITE THEM AND THANK THEM . TELL THEM TO KEEP ON HOLDING
OUT) . Anyway at the bottom of the article it says this:

FROM NY TIMES  ARTICLE  US- FRENCH Split on Iraq Deepens
  "......... As part of their effort to explore all options short of war, senior administration
officials of the Bush administration said they were trying to foment an uprising in Iraq, a
strategy they  dismissed as recently as last spring.
      Congressional officials said that the Central Intelligence Agency had already begun COVERT
OPERATIONS in the Kurdish area of northern Iraq. And military officials said the Pentagon planned
to start a psychological operations campaign, which would probably include broadcasts and  leaflet
drops in coming weeks urging Iraqi military leaders to defect or rise up against Mr. Hussein.
........"

The article continues on talking about the UN. My question is since when did it become acceptable
to encourage a coup or the overthrow of another country and no one in the press or congress is
questioning it as a criminal act. The film "The trial of Henry Kissinger"  gave me the impression
that there was some law in congress that made it illegal to sanction that.  Has something
changed???  I thought COVERT OPERATIONS BY THE CIA were made illegal after VIETNAM  .  Sincerely,
Peggy