[casi] Security Council

Peggy, Anai, Chris, et al,

I have included the message originally sent out by Chris over a week ago on
this topic.

I want to congratulate Chris on his composition, and encourage us all to
pursue this course, if in fact you perceive it to be a valid one.

I am waiting another day or two to begin writing myself, as I am eager to
hear from some of the other members on this "discussion" list as to their
perspective.  I understand that many of you have contacts with the UN and may
have insight that the rest of us lack.  I will try and get my UN contact to
give his opinion on this topic on Monday.

In a message dated 03/10/02 23:29:44 GMT Daylight Time, Tcapj writes:> Oxford,
> England>>                                      3rd October,2002  01993
775080>> Dear Ambassador,>> The world is now dependent on the UN Security
Council to ensure that the> US/UK determination to go to war with Iraq is not
approved. In both> countries, the people are very strongly opposed to war in
the absence of UN> approval.>> In the opinion of most of us, there is
insufficient evidence to justify the> sort of Security Council resolution
which US/UK are demanding at this time.> It has become an issue of the future
of the UN. as an independent> democratic body or as a tool of US. I cannot
urge you strongly enough to> resist the bribery and blackmail which US/UK
will try to use to force your> vote.>> Enough innocent Iraqi people have been
killed in the past eleven years. An> invasion in Iraq will almost certainly
aggravate the insecurity and> instability which already is a major problem in
the Middle East. Israel> cannot be trusted not to use such a war as an excuse
to further abuse the> Palestinian people.>> Yours faithfully,>> Christopher
Leadbeater>> bulgaria@un.int, cameroon@un.int, colombia@un.int, guinea@un.int,
> ireland@un.int, mauritius@un.int, mexico@un.int, norway@un.int,>
sgpun@prodigy.net, syria@un.int

Roger Stroope
"Ideas are more powerful than weapons"
Austin College

"Individuals have international duties which transcend the national
obligations of obedience…Therefore [individual citizens] have the duty to
violate domestic laws to prevent crimes against peace and humanity from
occurring" -- Nuremberg War Crime Tribunal, 1950