RE: [casi] More admissions of UNSCOM spying..

Here is more info on the subject
-Rania Masri

Iraq Arms Experts Probably Spied - Swede Inspector

Reuters

STOCKHOLM--Some United Nations inspectors looking for weapons of mass
destruction in Iraq in the 1990s probably spied on behalf of their
governments, a Swede who worked as an inspector said on Thursday.

"There were episodes you could sense were strange. One team member made
too many copies of documents. Then there were those who went to their
embassies at night although they were not really allowed to do so," Ake
Sellstrom told Swedish public service SVT television news.

Sellstrom was employed by the U.N. weapons inspection organization
UNSCOM led by American Scott Ritter, whom Baghdad repeatedly accused of
spying. The inspectors were forced to leave Iraq in December 1998.

A divided U.N. Security Council is currently debating whether a new team
of inspectors, now called UNMOVIC and led by Swede Hans Blix, should
travel to Iraq and begin a new search for Baghdad's alleged stockpiles
of chemical, biological and possibly nuclear weapons.

Sellstrom said information obtained by means of electronic surveillance
of Iraqi security forces' communications had clearly fallen into wrong
hands -- such as the U.S. and Israeli military -- during his time with
UNSCOM.

Some targets checked out by the weapons inspectors were bombed by the
United States and its allies just a week later, Sellstrom said.

Jean Pascal Zanders, head of chemical and biological warfare studies at
the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), told a
news conference earlier on Thursday that new Iraqi weapons inspections
would be extremely difficult to carry out.

"If they don't come up with something in one or two months, then the
United States will say 'This shows that inspections don't work' while
Iraq will say 'You see, we don't have any weapons'."

"We need inspections over a large timeframe," Zanders said.

SIPRI researcher John Hart said Iraq had managed to keep its biological
weapons program secret for four years after the inspections began in the
aftermath of the 1991 Gulf War.

Pointing out that "chemical and biological weapons leave very small
footprints that cannot be picked up by satellites," Zanders said it was
vital that UNMOVIC's inspectors get unfettered access to all areas in
Iraq.

Discrepancies between information provided by Iraq and data gathered by
UNSCOM by the time the inspectors had to leave suggested Baghdad may
have had more than 20,000 pieces of munitions and 1.5 tons of VX nerve
gas by the end of 1998, he said.

U.N. arms inspectors made clear on Thursday they would delay their
initial inspections in Iraq until the U.N. Security Council completed
work on a new resolution the United States and Britain have drafted.