[casi] On Rumsfeld and logic...

Dear List,

The US Department of State posted a transcript of Rumsfeld's remarks given in
his briefing following the NATO defense ministers' meeting in Warsaw, Poland on
September 25, 2002 (Press conference, Warsaw, Poland).

The full text can be found at:
http://usinfo.state.gov/topical/pol/nato/02092500.htm

I found the following extremely interesting:

"Q: Mr. Secretary, .......

 .....Secondly, what is your idea, what should the Germans do to restore
relationships to where they ought to be? Thank you.

Rumsfeld: It's not for me to give advice to other countries. We do have a
saying in America, if you're in a hole, stop digging. I'm not sure I should have
said that. [Laughter] Let's pretend I never said that. [Laughter]"

I guess even Rumsfeld realized his remarks would seem ridiculous when Iraq is
in question, so he decided to "pretend he never said that"....

HZ