[casi] Aid organizations in Iraq

To:       casi-discuss @ lists.casi.org.uk
Cc:       Jiale Ye <yejiale @ yahoo.com>
From:  Menno Wiebe
Date:  2002/09/29  11:53:03 AM
Subj:   Aid organizations in Iraq

The question was asked about aid organizations having special programmes for
Iraq.

The Iraqi Red Crescent Society (IRCS) is the primary point of reference for all
international aid initiatives in Iraq and both the International Committee for
the Red Cross (ICRC) and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red
Crescent Societies (IFRC) have active programmes in Iraq.

In addition to the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement and the various UN
organizations, there are a handful of international non-governmental
organizations active in Iraq.  The organizations I'm familiar with are (and
apologies for those I've forgotten):

--Islamic Relief Agency (ISRA)
--LIFE for Relief and Development
--CARE Iraq (Australia affiliate)
--Norwegian Church Aid
--Enfants du Monde
--Bridges to Baghdad

The American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) and the Mennonite Central
Committee (MCC) support some projects of the above-named organizations.  The
AFSC is based in the USA while the MCC is based in both the USA and Canada.

Best regards
Menno Wiebe
Country Representative -- Mennonite Central Committee Jordan

[ This email was sent to: casi-discuss@lists.casi.org.uk ]