From: <VnStroope@aol.com>
To: <ya1980@hotmail.com>
Cc: <soc-casi-discuss@lists.cam.ac.uk>
Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2002 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: [casi] Regime change, the lesser evil

In a message dated Sat, 28 Sep 2002 01:51:04 +0100, ya1980@hotmail.com
writes:

> More importantly, would not a regime change by the US by
> the quickest and
> least bloody way of ending sanctions?
>
> Stop being a pacifist and be realistic and practical.

You'll pardon me if I don't take up your call for war and lay down my morals
to conform to your world view.  Situational ethics are for those whose
interests are stronger than their values.

Why is it that to be a pacifist is not realistic or practical?
Could it be because there are more people who call for "practical" solutions
that involve murder than there are pacifist who call for dialogue, or is it
simply that the call for blood is louder NOT more populated.

I am happy to be in the minority calling for non-violence if minority it is,
however based on the thousands of phone calls to congress every day by US
citizens calling for diplomatic solutions to this situation, the hundreds of
millions world-wide speaking out against violence, I think that it is you
sir who are in the minority.  Even with all of the propaganda and
Chicken-hawks circling the oil in the middle east we are not fooled.  The
day is coming when it will be more honorable to call for diplomatic
solutions than it is to call for bloodshed.  I believe that day is now.

The day is coming when the words in the dictionary once again will have
meaning and when the sanctity of human life will supersede the flawed logic
that calls for the ending of some peoples lives to fulfill the political and
financial ideals of others.

Roger Stroope
Austin College
"Peace is a Human Right"