Re: [casi] Building Palaces, while Iraq burns...

Dear Roger & List,

>From a piece in foreignwire.com incorporating Tower Magazine (probably a US
source - couldn't see any date). "Iraq - The secret of the palaces.
By Adel Darwish. - ... Then in February I met Hussein Wael, a mason who
bribed his way out of Iraq at the cost of $5000. His testimony confirmed the
claim that Saddam spent almost $1 bn building new palaces
and renovating old ones, while his people were starving...

The most impressive presidential residence, according to Wael, is Qasr-
Shatl al-Arab, a complex of buildings and four artificial lakes built along
the waterway that separates Iraq and Iran. "One of the French engineers
working there told us it was bigger than the palace at Versailles" he said,
confirming the involvement of French experts in
constructing Saddam's palaces..."

Greetings,  Bert G.