RE: [casi] Bush Unveils First Strike Doctrine

> Here we go. Nobody can catch up to the US in power because "Our
> forces will
> be strong enough". (Hint, hint. Try to catch us, get bombed.)...

For those interested, the full text of the National Security Strategy
reported on is available at www.whitehouse.gov/nsc/nss.html.  Each US
President, as I understand, writes one of these, which is supposed to set
forth his "doctrine".  This, then, is a statement of the Bush Doctrine.

I think that it's an important document for a number of reasons.  First,
this Bush presidency is clearly an important presidency: the world is
changing significantly under it, and it is behaving in ways to which many of
us are not used.  Second, the NSS presents the philosophy behind this
presidency in its own words: the New York Times article cited by Andrew in
his posting gave Bush and Rice co-authorship.

One may or may not believe these words, but one may need to engage with the
issues on these terms if one wishes to do other than to talk at cross
purposes.  I would stress in particular the central role given to freedom by
the document.

For some initial discussion of this, you can listen to Gary Sick, a former
US National Security Council member, at
http://www.wnyc.org/shows/bl/episodes/09202002.

Best,

Colin Rowat

work | Room 406, Department of Economics | The University of Birmingham |
Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK | web.bham.ac.uk/c.rowat | (+44/0) 121 414 3754 |
(+44/0) 121 414 7377 (fax) | c.rowat@bham.ac.uk

personal | (+44/0) 7768 056 984 (mobile) | (+44/0) 7092 378 517 (fax) |
(707) 221 3672 (US fax) | c.rowat@espero.org.uk