Re: [casi] No one replied to my this mail.

Dear Yasser,
I've made a few annotations.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Yasser Alaskary" <ya1980@hotmail.com>
To: "SoftTanks" <softtanks@hotmail.com>; "Diarmuid"
<diarmuidfogarty@onetel.net.uk>; <casi-discuss@lists.casi.org.uk>
Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2002 5:43 PM
Subject: Re: [casi] No one replied to my this mail.

> > I believe God have made all of us including birds, animals and trees to
> live
> > peacefully otherwise we will get extinct just like Dinosaurs did a few
> > 1000's years back.
>
> so what do you do to someone who slaughters over a million of his own
> people? how do you remove him from power so that he cannot keep
> slaughtering?

[TPB]One way would be to wait for him to die. He won't live forever. And if
it's a choice between that and killing hundreds of thausands of Iraqi
civilians I know what I'd choose. I think you have to distinguish between
Hussein and the regime. Just getting rid of Saddam solves nothing. I don't
see how carrying out a huge massacre will help. And it probably will be a
massacre, not a war. If it follows the pattern of the Gulf War(and Iraq is
even weaker now) our own troops will be in next to no danger from the Iraqis
and we will slaughter their army as well, as, probably destroying the
population's power system and health infrastructure, leading to massive
civilian casualties. Surely we all know this? The next stage, if Afghanistan
is any precedent, will be the installation of a government full of people
with as bad a human rights record as the previous one, but more compliant to
the US.  Maybe ex-Baathists. No way will I support that. It's as bad as what
Saddam does to his enemies to get his way, only in our case, the reason is
to get control of Iraq's oil reserves, rather than winning a war of
aggression with one of your neighbours or suppressing rebels.

>do you ask him nicely to go away? do you ask him to kindly
> stop killing the people? how do you remove him and stop the killing and
> oppression?

I don't know. But no one on this list has made out a convincing case that
Bush and Blair's proposed war of aggression will help matters, rather than
just add massively to the suffering, and facilitate the milking of Iraq's
resources by the West for years to come, as well as maybe provide a cover
for Sharon to increase his repression of the Palestinians. The way I see it,
if you want us to bomb Iraq back into the stone age again, the onus is on
you, as an advocate of force, to answer the question as to how that will
help matters and not on me to justify my resistance to the idea.  Best
wishes,   TIm

> yasser

Without
> > > them, this list might not even exist and dissent would be a thing of
the
> > > past.Curiously, our heroes both survive in spite of people like
Hussein
> > and
> > > Clinton, Bush and Blair. That singular fact is worth devoting some
> thought
> > > to.
> > >
> > > On a different note, you refer several times to 'America' in your
post.
> It
> > > might be interesting to reflect on what you mean by this. The American
> > > people? The American continent? Or simply the American government? You
> are
> > > not alone in using the name of the country (or the continent) when, I
> > > suspect, you intend to refer to the government. I'm guilty of the
same.
> > But
> > > perhaps we should make a greater effort to separate the people from
> their,
> > > all too often, dictatorial leaders. Perhaps we should make the effort
> > > refer to 'the American government', rather than simply 'America'.
After

casi-discuss-admin@lists.casi.org.uk