Re: [casi] The quickest way to end sanctions

I agree again with Diarmuid when he says:

"Might I suggest that the quickest way to end sanctions would be to immediately lift all of the
restraints being put on Iraq and trade with Iraq? If war is allowed to go ahead, the potential
ramifications could last for hundreds of years."

But at the same time, I share Colin's frustration. Iraq would benefit from the removal of Saddam.
But the questions still remain..Who is in line after Saddam to rule over Iraq? How much will it
cost to rebuild the mess we make just to remove him?

Is it not better to lift sanctions so that we provide the people of Iraq what they need, so that
they stay *alive* than it would be to kill yet more in the process of saving them? Is that really
liberation or just murder?

If we had assurance.. 100% assurance that no civilians would die as a result of the ousting/regime
change, then I would agree with it. But it is highly unlikely that would be the case. There are
urban areas that will be affected.. thousands will die. How can we even think that we are doing
something good for Iraq, when we will wipe so many out?

~ Anai Rhoads

- - - -
Forgiveness breaks the chain of causality because he who forgives you -- out of love--takes upon
himself the consequences of what you have done. Forgiveness, therefore, always entails a sacrifice.