RE: [casi] Campaign Against Sanctions?

Dear Colin,

It is great to see a well thought out response,  unlikne many posts that have recently been flying
around.

i would point out the following:

1. the realities you saw were only the superficial appearance of iraq - the suffering of a nation
under sanctions. however, what you did not and could not see, is the deep rooted everyday suffering
and oppression of the iraqi people, which i have lived. a suffering which has no voice and cannot
be openly seen. this is as bad, if not worse than sanctions.

2. the figures of the casualties from '91 is not a fair reflection of the the current situation
because those figures are of the people uprising against Saddam and shows how much the Iraqis want
Saddam out and shows how ruthless Saddam is in oppressing the people. it also demonstrates that if
you expect the Iraqi people to rid themselves of Saddam on their own then they will be butchered by
Saddam. What is planned to be done involves removing Saddam so such a bloodbath would not occur or
be needed. very few people want to fight for Saddam in Iraq - if the secret police ('amn) and the
Republican Guard are symbollically bombed - thus removing the fear by which Saddam holds power -
then this would be the best scenario for the US and for Iraqis because: a) it will be the quickest
way to get rid of Saddam and thus better for the US, and b) it will cause the least amount of Iraqi
civilian casualties.

Opposing a war on Saddam, calls - at least in the short term - for the current situation to remain:
Saddam oppressiong and slaughtering Iraqis, sanctions starving the people. Nothing, for an Iraqi,
can be worse than this. In politics there is no such thing as enemies and friends - only interests.
in the current situation, our interests (the removal of saddam and the lifting of sanctions) can
only result from the same interests of the US policy to remove Saddam but not in terms of the
second policy of installing a puppet government. so as far as having a war to remove Saddam, this
should not be opposed.

war kills people, but Saddam and sanctions kill much much more and they keep on killing. we should
instead campaign for democracy (a proportionally elected democractic government) in Iraq so that
this idea spreads in the public arena so that when Saddam is removed public awareness is such that
it is far more difficult for the US to put in a puppet government and are forced to edge closer to
true democracy.

this is not the perfect scenario, but it is realistically the best scenario that can be achieved in
the present situation.

regards,
sama