[casi] Gen. Zinni's Reservations About An Invasion: Transcript (23 Aug 02)

Source: Anthony Zinni, remarks to Economic Club of Florida, Iraq-related
transcript,  Center for Defense Information (CDI), 23 August 2002,
http://www.cdi.org/terrorism/generalsview.cfm

Zinni is a ‘CDI Distinguished Military Fellow’.

CDI Zinni Url: http://www.cdi.org/aboutcdi/Zinni.html

Center for Defense Information transcript introduction:

[begin]

Marine Gen. Anthony Zinni (Ret.) was commander in chief of the U.S. Central
Command, which commands U.S. forces in much of the Middle East and Central
Asia, during 1997-2000. He was the first to have served previously as deputy
commander in chief of the command. He had also been deputy commanding
general of the combined task force during Operation Provide Comfort
immediately after the Gulf War, and commander of the combined task force for
Operation United Shield.

After a speech about the Israeli-Palestinian peace process to the Economic
Club of Florida on August 23, 2002, he made the following comments in
response to a question about a war against Iraq.

[end]

Excerpts:

[begin]

Attacking Iraq now will cause a lot of problems. I think the debate right
now that's going on is very healthy. If you ask me my opinion, Gen.
Scowcroft, Gen. Powell, Gen. Schwarzkopf, Gen. Zinni, maybe all see this the
same way.

It might be interesting to wonder why all the generals see it the same way,
and all those that never fired a shot in anger and are really hell bent to
go to war see it a different way. That's usually the way it is in history.

But let me tell you what the problem is now as I see it, if you need to
weigh this: what are your priorities in the region? That's the first issue
in my mind.

The Middle East peace process, in my mind, has to be a higher priority.

Winning the war on terrorism has to be a higher priority.

More directly, the situation in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Central Asia needs to
be resolved, making sure al Qaeda can't rise again from the ashes, [that
they are] destroyed. [That the] Taliban cannot come back. That the warlords
can't gain power over Kabul and [Afghan President] Karzai, and destroy
everything that has happened so far.

Our relationships in the region are in major disrepair, not to the point
where we can't fix them, but we need to quit making enemies we don't need to
make enemies out of. And we need to fix those relationships. There's a deep
chasm growing between that part of the world and our part of the world. And
it's strange, about a month after 9/11, they were sympathetic and
compassionate toward us ... how did it happen over the last year? And we
need to look at that — that is a higher priority.

The country that started all this, Iran, is about to turn around, 180
degrees. We ought to be focused on that. The father of extremism, the home
of the ayatollah — the young people are ready to throw out the mullahs and
turn around, become a secular society and throw off these ideas of
extremism. That is more important and critical. They're the ones that funded
Hezbollah and other terrorist organizations. That ought to be a focus. And I
can give you many, many more before you get down to Saddam and Iraq.

Our friends in the region who, a couple years ago, every time we wanted to
throw a bomb at Saddam, kept saying, "Why don't you get serious? We'll
support you if you take him out. But if you're only going to piss him off
and let him rise from the ashes, we don't want to do it."

Now that we want to do it, it's the wrong time. He'll drag Israel into the
war. The mood on the street is very hostile at this moment. It is the wrong
time. You could create a backlash to regimes that are friendly to us. You
could create a sense [in the region] of anti Arab, anti Islamic feelings
from the West, [people could] misinterpret the attack.

We could end up with collateral damage.

You could inherit the country of Iraq, if you're willing to do it — if our
economy is so great that you're willing to put billions of dollars into
reforming Iraq. If you want to put soldiers that are already stretched so
thin all around the world and add them into a security force there forever,
like we see in places like the Sinai. If you want to fight with other
countries in the region to try to keep Iraq together as Kurds try and split
off and Shiites try and split off, you're going to have to make a good case
for that. And that's what I think has to be done, that's my honest opinion.

You're going to have to tell me the threat is there, right now, that it's
immediate, that it takes the priority over all those things I've just
mentioned.

[end]

Nathaniel Hurd
90 7th Ave.