[casi] Colin's post on what best helps the Iraqi people

Thank you, Colin, for this post and your thoughts.  As
one of the U.S. members of this group, I would find it
very difficult not only to support your comments about
not trusting the Bush Administration but to add that
thousands, possibly millions, of people over here feel
the same.  Last night an article stating that the
invasion of Iraq has been in the planning since
shortly before Bush took office was posted.  The
article is at:

"http://www.sundayherald.com/27735">http://www.sundayherald.com/27735

I am not familiar with this Glasgow newspaper and
don't know how to verify the existence of the
"document" they refer to, exposing a pax Americana
that is indeed frightening.  I would appreciate
comments on the legitimacy of this newspaper.

But even without the information of this article, the
trust required to believe that the U.S. might invade
Iraq (I read that projected death numbers this time
are much higher than in the Gulf War), then allow it
to become the democracy that the Iraqi people might
choose and yet help rebuild the near total devastation
- well, this trust just isn't here.  We in the protest
movement feel that the rebuilding is not of interest
to the Bush administration and, sadly, would not be
high on a priorities list of many Americans, if only
because of the prohibitive cost.

Worse, possibly, is the fear that Iraq would simply be
the first step, to be followed by Syria and Iran, and
in time, Saudi Arabia.  However shocking it is to
some, we have to continually remember the 112 billion
barrels of oil beneath Sadam.  As I understand it (and
it's FAR out of my realm of knowledge), the Iraqi oil
is far superior to Saudi oil because of its lower
sulfur content.  I don't think these things can be
left out of the total picture.

Mr. Bush has in no way shown himself to be a man of
truth or compassion.  In one of the greatest ironies
of history, he came to power by virtue of having no
"sin" attached to his name, following the debacle of
Mr. Clinton's sexual misdeeds.  Having no reputation
for adultery or infidelity carried an absurd amount of
weight in 2000.  But a look at the record gives no
credibility to true compassion, wisdom or honesty.

Sorry for the length, but I would emphasize the strong
beliefs of the growing protest movement over here.  It
will not stop with Iraq.  After we determine the
numbers of their dead, with a stronger U.S. military
than before, other countries will follow until the
U.S. has complete control of mideast oil.

I've often been told this chilling statement: World
War III will be between the U.S. and the rest of the
world.  I don't know, of course, and I'd like to think
that we, the U.S., would simply "free" the Iraqi
people, who would in the end suffer fewer deaths than
they now do.  But I can't.

Lisa

=== message truncated ===