Re: [casi] Campaign Against Sanctions?

In a message dated 09/13/2002 7:57:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
bintilhuda@lycos.com writes:

> I will no doubt get booed for this by many. But I ask, realistically
> speaking, leaving idealistic scenarios alone, what other solutions can we

Perhaps your just tired.  I know that I am.  I call, I write, I feel as if
they are not listening.  But then I see the polls, inching in our favor.  I
saw one Republican Senator on C-SPAN, speaking to B. Netanyahu and telling
him that he receives 40 phone calls against war for every one that he gets
supporting war.  I organize petitions and pass out bumper stickers, I call
for teach ins on campus and slowly watch the faces change as they learn more
about the realities of war and global politics.

I am as hopeful as I have ever been, perhaps too idealistic, but the US
public is slowly, so slowly beginning to wake from its collective slumber.
Beginning to ask questions.  I see Ramsey Clark, Scott Ritter, Phyllis
Bennis, Halliday, Sponeck, with more and more frequency on my television
having never seen them there before the war drums called.  Chomskey writing
more, more of Fox doing character assasinations, more DIALOGUE about Iraq
good and bad.

A contributor to this list told me that she thought Bush was the best choice
for this white house at this time because of his cowboy mentality the US
public would begin to see through the fog and begin to participate again.  I
think that this is happening.  Before the war rhetoric I saw no hope, now I
see some.  Maybe all this dialogue will chip away at the hoax and resolve the
other members of the Security Council to increase the pressure to lift
sanctions.  The US is signing more petitions, making more phone calls, and
people who were never active are becoming active.

Please forgive the upcoming word, but on my campus, my conservative campus, a
twelve foot banner was hung with the words "FUCK WAR" in bright red paint.
People are eager to learn what brings such passion out.  Those of us with the
will are taking advantage.  If it can happen in Texas it can happen anywhere.

Perhaps I will get booed for my idealism, but I am hopeful that the people of
Iraq are closer to the end of this hellish road than before.  I wanted to
quit on Monday, but by Friday I felt energized.  Bush is coming to campus in
November, what an opportunity to show him what we think!

Roger Stroope
Peace is a Human Right
Austin College