[casi] TEXAS Congressman's Questions About Iraq

Questions that Won't Be Asked About Iraq
Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)
September 11, 2002

Soon we hope to have hearings on the pending war with Iraq. I am
concerned
there are some questions that won't be asked - and maybe will not even
be
allowed to be asked.  Here are some questions I would like answered by
those
who are urging us to start this war.

1. Is it not true that the reason we did not bomb the Soviet Union at
the
height of the Cold War was because we knew they could retaliate?

2. Is it not also true that we are willing to bomb Iraq now because we
know
it cannot retaliate - which just confirms that there is no real threat?

3. Is it not true that those who argue that even with inspections we
cannot
be sure that Hussein might be hiding weapons, at the same time imply
that we
can be more sure that weapons exist in the absence of inspections?

4. Is it not true that the UN's International Atomic Energy Agency was
able
to complete its yearly verification mission to Iraq just this year with
Iraqi cooperation?

5. Is it not true that the intelligence community has been unable to
develop
a case tying Iraq to global terrorism at all, much less the attacks on
the
United States last year? Does anyone remember that 15 of the 19
hijackers
came from Saudi Arabia and that none came from Iraq?

6. Was former CIA counter-terrorism chief Vincent Cannistraro wrong when
he
recently said there is no confirmed evidence of Iraq's links to
terrorism?

7. Is it not true that the CIA has concluded there is no evidence that a
Prague meeting between 9/11 hijacker Atta and Iraqi intelligence took
place?

8. Is it not true that northern Iraq, where the administration claimed
al-Qaeda were hiding out, is in the control of our "allies," the Kurds?

9. Is it not true that the vast majority of al-Qaeda leaders who escaped
appear to have safely made their way to Pakistan, another of our
so-called
allies?

10. Has anyone noticed that Afghanistan is rapidly sinking into total
chaos,
with bombings and   assassinations becoming daily occurrences; and that
according to a recent UN report the al-Qaeda "is, by all accounts, alive
and
well and poised to strike again, how, when, and where it chooses"?

11. Why are we taking precious military and intelligence resources away
from
tracking down those who did attack the United States - and who may again
attack the United States - and using them to invade countries that have
not
attacked the United States?

12. Would an attack on Iraq not just confirm the Arab world's worst
suspicions about the US - and isn't this what bin Laden wanted?

13. How can Hussein be compared to Hitler when he has no navy or air
force,
and now has an army 1/5 the size of twelve years ago, which even then
proved
totally inept at defending the country?

14. Is it not true that the constitutional power to declare war is
exclusively that of the Congress? Should presidents, contrary to the
Constitution, allow Congress to concur only when pressured by public
opinion? Are presidents permitted to rely on the UN for permission to go
war?

15. Are you aware of a Pentagon report studying charges that thousands
of
Kurds in one village were gassed by the Iraqis, which found no
conclusive
evidence that Iraq was responsible, that Iran occupied the very city
involved, and that evidence indicated the type of gas used was more
likely
controlled by Iran not Iraq?

16. Is it not true that anywhere between 100,000 and 300,000 US soldiers
have suffered from Persian Gulf War syndrome from the first Gulf War,
and
that thousands may have died?

17. Are we prepared for possibly thousands of American casualties in a
war
against a country that does not have the capacity to attack the United
States?

18. Are we willing to bear the economic burden of a 100 billion dollar
war
against Iraq, with oil prices expected to skyrocket and further rattle
an
already shaky American economy? How about an estimated 30 years
occupation
of Iraq that some have deemed necessary to "build democracy" there?

19. Iraq's alleged violations of UN resolutions are given as reason to
initiate an attack, yet is it not true that hundreds of UN Resolutions
have
been ignored by various countries without penalty?

20. Did former President Bush not cite the UN Resolution of 1990 as the
reason he could not march into Baghdad, while supporters of a new attack
assert that it is the very reason we can march into Baghdad?

21. Is it not true that, contrary to current claims, the no-fly zones
were
set up by Britain and the United States without specific approval from
the
United Nations?

22. If we claim membership in the international community and conform to
its
rules only when it pleases us, does this not serve to undermine our
position, directing animosity toward us by both friend and foe?

23. How can our declared goal of bringing democracy to Iraq be
believable
when we prop up dictators throughout the Middle East and support
military
tyrants like Musharaf in Pakistan, who overthrew a
democratically-elected
president?

24. Are you familiar with the 1994 Senate Hearings that revealed the
U.S.
knowingly supplied chemical and biological materials to Iraq during the
Iran-Iraq war and as late as 1992 - including after the alleged Iraqi
gas
attack on a Kurdish village?

25. Did we not assist Saddam Hussein's rise to power by supporting and
encouraging his invasion of Iran? Is it honest to criticize Saddam now
for
his invasion of Iran, which at the time we actively supported?

26. Is it not true that preventive war is synonymous with an act of
aggression, and has never been considered a moral or legitimate US
policy?

27. Why do the oil company executives strongly support this war if oil
is
not the real reason we plan to take over Iraq?

28. Why is it that those who never wore a uniform and are confident that
they won't have to personally fight this war are more anxious for this
war
than our generals?

29. What is the moral argument for attacking a nation that has not
initiated
aggression against us, and could not if it wanted?

30. Where does the Constitution grant us permission to wage war for any
reason other than self-defense?

31. Is it not true that a war against Iraq rejects the sentiments of the
time-honored Treaty of Westphalia, nearly 400 years ago, that countries
should never go into another for the purpose of regime change?

32. Is it not true that the more civilized a society is, the less likely
disagreements will be settled by war?

33. Is it not true that since World War II Congress has not declared war
and
- not coincidentally - we have not since then had a clear-cut victory?

34. Is it not true that Pakistan, especially through its intelligence
services, was an active supporter and key organizer of the Taliban?

35. Why don't those who want war bring a formal declaration of war
resolution to the floor of Congress?

Ron Paul, M.D., represents the 14th Congressional District of Texas in
the
United States House of Representatives.

http://www.antiwar.com/paul/paul45.html