[casi] Fw: Anarchist Federation statement

I sent this to the list today but it still hasn't arrived. Here it is again.

----- Original Message -----
From: Diarmuid
To: casi-discuss@lists.casi.org.uk
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 6:29 AM
Subject: FWD: Anarchist Federation statement

Here is a statement from the AF.

*****************************PRESS RELEASE********************************

NOT IN MY NAME!

The Anarchist Federation in High Peak is urging people to bear in mind that Tony Blair's plans for
war in Iraq will mean the deaths of thousands of innocent civilians, among them women and children.

'We take heart from the polls which show that over 70% of the British public are opposed to this
country starting a war in Iraq without any mandate from the United Nations and without any
provocation from the Iraqi government,' said a spokesperson for the AF. 'However, we believe that
any war only serves to punish ordinary people who have no responsibility for the actions of their
government. As such, they are morally injustifiable.'

Remembering the Gulf War of 1991, the spokesperson reminded people that over 1.8 million Iraqi
people had died as a consequence of UK and US aggression, over half a million of whom were aged
under 5. 'What British people should be asking themselves is how our country, supposedly in the
name of democracy and freedom, can hold a baby responsible for the crimes of the Iraqi dictator,'
said the AF spokesperson.

Urging people to get involved in the anti-war movement in whatever way they saw fit, the
spokesperson stated that ordinary people in Britain had a humanitarian duty towards the innocent
people of Iraq to fight against this war. 'Anything is better than nothing. The swell of public
opinion is against Blair's crusade. The real reason for this war is the consolidation of American
power over the oilfields of the Middle East. It is shameful that Bush seeks to win this domination
by brutally murdering families and children, but it is even more shameful that the British
government is faithfully keeping at the heel of its master. Get involved! Write letters! Go on
marches! Do anything that you can in order to maintain your dignity and humanity! Let the message
be clear to the government, any wholesale murder that is carried out Iraq is not being done in your
name.'