[casi] Security Council voting

Dear Hassan

With full respect, I think your argument is mistaken. Any treaty, such as
the UN Charter, must be interpreted in light of the subsequent practice
of the parties to that treaty: how states "interpret" art.27(3) is not
something that can be dismissed as simply mistaken, but is an element
that goes into any subsequent interpretation.

As it is, since 1971, there has no been state that I know of that has
disputed that Security Council Resolutions (SCRs) can be passed even if
one of the permanent members abstains. The last state to argue the case
that you make was South Africa, before the International Court of Justice
in a case relating to Namibia. South Africa argued that SCR 284 was
invalid because 2 permanent members of the SC abstained in its voting. The
Court - the highest judicial organ of the UN - replied that, "for a long
period the voluntary abstention of a permanent member has consistently
been interpreted as not constituting a bar to the adoption of resolutions
by the Security Council".

The partial text of the judgment is at:
http://www.icj-cij.org/icjwww/idecisions/isummaries/inamsummary710621.htm
Otherwise, for those of you with a law library handy, its in ICJ Rep 1971,
at p.22.

I hope this resolves your point.

All the best
Glen.