Re: [casi] The inconsistency of Scott Ritter

Perhaps we should consider that Scott Ritter was the product
of military brainwashing for most of his life.  It's like the "T"
shirt that marines from a local marine base like to strut around
in that has "When you absolutely positively want it destroyed
overnight, call in the Marines."   Many ex-Marines in their 40's and
50's we know still maintain that aggressive attitude and spout the
military line and verse.  But some we know have actually matured
and become "human"......I believe Scott Ritter is going through a serious
reality and maturing process and that the govt./military mindset that
controlled him from the time he was a teenager is being broken down.
Standing back and listening to his viscous former compadre Butler must in
itself be a shocking wake-up call to any newly civilianized military
robot, not forgetting that faces of the continually suffering and dying
Iraqis must still be swirling around in his head amid tidbits of guilt
over the roll he played in this continuing tragedy.
When Ritter spoke at a local World Affairs Council meeting when he was
fresh out of UNSCOM, he obediently recited the govt. propaganda line.
At one point he justified Bush's war by quoting the allegation that Iraq
had "threatened to attack Israel".....at which  point two people in the
audience (including myself) spontaneously shouted out "Finish the sentence,
Mr. Ritter!"  He instantly looked shocked, was speechless for what seemed
like an eternity to him, I suppose, then quietly added...  "...If Israel attacked
Iraq."  (Remember that  at the time the statement was made Israel was
repeatedly threatening Iraq, and had already done so before)  After that little
forced injection of truth into his presentation the rest of his speech was
noticeably much less aggressive and "govt. speak."
A well known former CIA agent (see  "The Praetorian Guard")
who was on the speaking circuit after leaving the agency
addressed the issue of the govt recruiting young impressionable college
students and molding their minds, and how many years and thousands
of deaths of targeted enemies later he finally couldn't look at himself in
a mirror any more, look at what he had become, and left the agency.
The govt. deals a harsh hand to those who leave "the fold" and exerts
tremendous control over their speech and writings for the rest of their
lives.
I think Scott Ritter is honest --- and within the restraints placed
upon him-- is gradually breaking out of the hard-nosed aggressive cast
the govt put him into decades ago; that he is sincerely trying to
prevent another Bush slaughter;  and that he is trying very hard
to contribute to a just solution for Iraq.
nels