RE: [casi] Iraq and the New Great Game

Dear list members,

I have been a bit worried by this recent conversation for two reasons.
First, while recognising that the "sanctions on Iraq" heading that should
guide our conversations is a flexible one, discussions of the role of
Zionism or Israel in recent world history seem to me to fall outside it.
Second, there have been some very pointed remarks; these certainly reflect
deeply seated feelings which I would not wish to deny.  At the same time,
aiming them at other list members - who are here because they share a common
concern about the humanitarian consequences of sanctions on Iraqi
civilians - may be, I think, unhelpful.

Having suggested that we have strayed off of our topic core, I did want to
offer a partial response to John's recent question:

> Why has the US-Israeli partnership proved so enduring throughout the past
> fifty years of expansionist wars, uprisings and massacres?

My understanding is that the Israeli-US alliance only began to solidify
around 1967.  Prior to that, Israel's main foreign supporters had been
European and the Soviet Union.  In the Suez crisis in 1956, for example, the
US opposed the Israeli-French-British attack on Egypt.

Colin Rowat

work | Room 406, Department of Economics | The University of Birmingham |
Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK | web.bham.ac.uk/c.rowat | (+44/0) 121 414 3754 |
(+44/0) 121 414 7377 (fax) | c.rowat@bham.ac.uk

personal | (+44/0) 7768 056 984 (mobile) | (+44/0) 7092 378 517 (fax) |
(707) 221 3672 (US fax) | c.rowat@espero.org.uk