From: " Tom Nagy, Ph.D." <nagy@gwu.edu>
To: <VnStroope@aol.com>
Cc: <soc-casi-discuss@lists.cam.ac.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 6:56 PM
Subject: [casi] Congressional Hearing from A to A' + VW Peace

I spoke yesterday with Jim McDermott of the Senate Foreign Relations
Committee
staff to ask him to urge Sen. Biden to treat the world to at least a
smattering
of democracy by permitted some substantive divergences among the designated
speakers. Asked him how I could tell our students that the U.S. was a
functioning democracy if only prowar speakers, and a very narrow range of
pro war
speakers at that, were permitted to testify.

I suggested folks like Major Ritter and former Assist. Sec-Gen of the UN
Denis
Halliday and Bishop Gumbleton so that the Senate and U.S. would be exposed
some different, informed, humane, pragmatic views.

McDermott claimed that the balance would be furnished by folks like Richard
Butler and Morton Helpern in additon to the usual friends of war Right...

He urged us all to tune in on C-Span.

I guess before the U.S. degrades and demolishes other countries it has to
prep itself with the self imposed degradation of lies, secrets and taboos
which
sadly puts it (along with the rest of the world) in peril of physical,
intellectual and spiritual demolition.

In addition to protesting the psuedo democracy hearings, let's start
publicizing the Voices in the Wilderness' Iraq Peace Team initiative:

"In the face of recent threats against Iraq, Voices in the
Wilderness has initiated an “Iraq Peace Team” plan.
The announcement envisions sending seasoned
nonviolent activists to take up residence in Iraq, before
and during a US attack, should such an assault occur.
The Government of Iraq has agreed to the proposal in
principle. It remains for us to now undertake numerous
tasks needed to make this plan a reality, if needed, while
at the same time working to prevent a US attack."

>From Washington, "The Center of It All",
Tom
Thomas J. Nagy, Ph.D.
George Washington University

VnStroope@aol.com wrote:

> [ Presenting plain-text part of multi-format email ]
>
> Wondering if anyone has heard anything on the CH? Have they included
Ritter,