[casi] Re: [iac-disc.] CNN

The group they are talking about is Jund al-Islam,
Ansar al-Islam, or Pishtiwanani Islam la Kurdistan.
The source may be objectionable, but Michael Rubin did
a good summary of their evolution for the Middle East
Intelligence Bulletin ( toward the end of
last year.  (If I recall, he thought the group more
linked to Iran than Iraq).  I think this is the same
group that The New Yorker later had that article on.
There is also repeated mention of the group in Radio
Free Europe's Iraq Report (

--- wrote:
> CNN just reported links between Iraq and Al-Queda.
> The link they suggest is that a group that is
> affiliated with Al-Queda,
> operates in Northern Iraq in the Kurdish area and
> routinely travels in and
> out of Iraq with Iraq's knowledge.
> Amazing!!!  A complete lack of contextualization on
> topic.  Considering the
> fact that GOI has little or no control over northern
> Iraq, and of course the
> No-Fly zones of the US/UK.  Wouldn't the US/UK have
> more responsibility for
> what goes on in NI than would SH??
> Your thoughts?
> Roger Stroope
> Peace is a Human Right
> Austin College

Do You Yahoo!?

To unsubscribe, visit
To contact the list manager, email
All postings are archived on CASI's website: