RE: [casi] Congressional Hearings-USA

> Wondering if anyone has heard anything on the CH?  Have they
> included Ritter, Sponeck, Ekeus, Halliday????  I havent heard
> or seen a thing from here, the blanket of Democracy.

Hi Roger,

I attach below an alert from EPIC (the Education for Peace in Iraq Center)
in Washington.

As an aside on democracy, I have been encouraged by these hearings.
Whatever one thinks Iraq policy should be, I think that the argument for a
public debate about its strategy is vital.  I think that the hearings are an
important step in this direction.  In taking it, the US is now well ahead of
the UK, whose Prime Minister has given the impression of seeking to present
a fait accompli to Parliament.  Obviously, public hearings of this sort did
not take place in Iraq prior to either its invasion of Kuwait or its
invasion of Iran.  I am sure that we would all have added some witnesses to
the list below, and removed others, but the list has been formed, to some
extent, in response to public pressure.

Best,

Colin Rowat

work | Room 406, Department of Economics | The University of Birmingham |
Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK | web.bham.ac.uk/c.rowat | (+44/0) 121 414 3754 |
(+44/0) 121 414 7377 (fax) | c.rowat@bham.ac.uk

personal | (+44/0) 7768 056 984 (mobile) | (+44/0) 7092 378 517 (fax) |
(707) 221 3672 (US fax) | c.rowat@espero.org.uk

EPIC Alert - July 31, 2002

************************

I. WATCH the HEARINGS TODAY! (July 31, 2002)

II. Update – National Call in Day Makes a Difference!

III. Articles of Interest

************************

I. WATCH the HEARINGS TODAY - Wednesday July 31st

You can watch the hearings today on a live web cast by going to the Senate
Foreign Relations home page http://foreign.senate.gov/menu.html and
following the link to the live video.  Hearings begin at 9:30 AM Eastern
Time.

The Updated Witness List is posted on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee
webpage.

For Wednesday’s witness list go to
http://foreign.senate.gov/hearings/hrg020731a2.html

For Thursday’s witness go to
http://foreign.senate.gov/hearings/hrg020801a.html

Hearings will also be covered on C-SPAN.  Check local listings.

II. Update – Nation Call in Day Makes a Difference!

After the past week of intense lobbying by literally THOUSANDS of activists,
we are very hopeful that a pre-emptive war with Iraq is not fait accompli.
Please know YOUR CALLS MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE! The Senate offices have felt
the power and commitment of thousands of people who do NOT support war on
Iraq and who demand their elected officials take part in this debate.While
the witness list is still very far from balanced, thanks to your calls,
there are some important voices present and challenging questions should be
asked. EPIC is working diligently to get testimony into the Congressional
Record on the “Potential civilian consequences of increased US military
action against Iraq”. Let us continue to work in preventing war on Iraq,
together we can make a difference!

III. Articles of Interest

By Attacking Bush, Kerry Sets Himself Apart

New York Times – 7/31/02

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/31/politics/31KERR.html

Profound Effect on U.S. Economy Seen in a War on Iraq

New York Times - 7/30/02

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/30/international/30COST.html

Weapons inspections were 'manipulated'

Financial Times – 7/29/02

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c
=StoryFT&cid=1027953256453&p=1012571727102

U.S. Exploring Baghdad Strike as Iraq Option

New York Times – 7/29/02

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=68&ncid=68&e=1&u=/nyt/20020729/ts
_nyt/u_s__exploring_baghdad_strike_as_iraq_option

Some Top Military Brass Favor Status Quo in Iraq

Washington Post – 7/28/02

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10749-2002Jul27.html

EPIC Alerts
Education for Peace in Iraq Center