[casi] Fw: up for discussion, a suggestion?

----- Original Message -----
From: g
To: casi-discuss@lists.casi.org.uk
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 11:52 AM
Subject: up for discussion, a suggestion?

How about we organize a massive "sit-in" in Iraq, the next time a bombing or attack is planned
against Iraq?
As I envision it, it would go something like this: All foreign citizens who do not support these
attacks, would arrange, through various means, to go to Iraq, and sit there, during the time when
these attacks are scheduled to occur. (with the blessing and help of Saddam only, of course) This
would be especially effective (I think) if a large number of British and American citizens
participated. It would be the equivalent of  saying "If you attack them, you attack us, your own
citizens, as well" Of course, it would be difficult, & costly, many would need help to arrange for
passports, (& probably need to be smuggled in), airfare, whatever was needed. Perhaps it could also
be used as a way to protest the sanctions? Let American and British and other foreign citizens all
go and suffer with the Iraqi citizens, until the sanctions end. Could Saddam be convinced to open
his doors to those who would wish to participate in such a protest, possibly for long periods of
time? It might also serve to tighten bonds between foreigners and the Iraqi people as well, and
dispel some of the myths about the Iraqi government, as being a "ruthless" dictatorship", if it
could be shown and witnessed that the foreigners who participated in this "sit-in" were treated
well, during their stay there. There would be interesting "repercussions", bound to attract
international attention, nations threatening to revoke the citizenship of those participating,
families protesting the ousting of their loved ones, and/or the potential bombing of their own
citizens, etc.. It could cause quite a ruckus! (and force some who don't yet, to realize that
Iraqi's are human beings, the same as anyone else, from anywhere else) Just a thought. (If you like
it, take the ball and run with it. I'll play!)