[casi] on Sweeney ....

Dear Zaid and list members,

I must commend Zaid on his perseverance and consistent pursue of the truth.
John Sweeney is not the exception; rather the norm.

In over 20 years living in the west, I have come across the same problem, of
dealing with imbeciles and ignoramuses. The westerner, on average, is ignorant of
issues of Middle East and Arab politics. I say on average, even though sometimes
this ignorance is expressed by politicians in the highest positions. The Iraq case
is a good example.

Sweeney’s lies are not the first, nor will they be the last. The incubator
case was orchestrated by the world’s leading “democracy”, and believed by the
other western “democracies” who advocate truth and accuse Iraq of lying. Sweeney
only continues the trend. In 1991, one editor of a British daily said in a TV
interview. “Western civilization is superior. We are always right!....”. That
seems to be the starting point for Sweeney and the rest of the gang.

It is quite clear that Sweeney has no idea, at all, about sanctions or the
subject he is tackling. He is paid to do a job, and he does it to the best of his
ability.
When he says:” A pipe carries liquid. If Iraq can move oil, it can move clean
water”, I don’t honestly know whether to laugh or cry.
To start with, oil pipelines have been there for decades. They were not laid
down now. In addition to that, a drinking water system needs pipes, purification
stations, pumps stations, and tremendous work inside cities. It also needs the
chemicals needed for the sterilization process, something the sanctions committee
refuses to allow Iraq to buy. In order to 2move clean water”, you must first
“clean the water”, then move it… For example, Risafa in Baghdad suffers from huge
shortages of water. Unless the UN allows Iraq to build a new water network and
locates money for it, Iraq can not buy the pipes and equipment needed for this
project. And that project would take some 10 years to finish.

On medicine, Sweeney shows worse ignorance. The UN sanctions committee has to
approve every single purchase, be that medicines or food. At the beginning of the
work of the committee in 1991, its chairman (Finland’s Ambassador) publicly
announced that Iraq should not be allowed even to buy medicines, because it can
make chemical weapons from it. She later apologized, blaming “experts” at the UN
for giving her such an advice. It seems natural to assume that those “experts” are
some of Scott Ritter’s former colleagues…
And so Iraq was prevented from importing anaesthetics, because according to the
Sanctions Committee, they are not medicines. So some Iraqis underwent operations
without anaesthesia. My nephew is an eye surgeon, who told me stories of
operations he had performed without anaesthesia. Would Sweeney accept it if his
child would have tonsillectomy, or his wife would have a C-sections without
anaesthesia?

Then when calculating Iraq’s income, a major factor is forgotten. Of the
whole sum, 30% goes to reparations, and 13% go to the Northern area (with a cash
factor involved). That leaves Iraq only 57% of the income, under the control of
the UN Sanctions Committee. So of course, officials at the Un and the Iraq program
would love the sanctions to continue. They will continue to enjoy the good life in
New York, the status, and the travels and money. Yuri Vorontsov would otherwise be
unemployed, having been retired by Russia….

Sweeney advises Zaid to go to Iraq. Has Sweeney himself gone to Iraq, walked
the streets, seen what his criminal government has done to the people, before he
made his miserable program? Or has he just relied on a word from some mysterious
perosn, who had heard it from some taxi driver, who has heard it.... Is that the
investigative journalism we hear so much about? Does Sweeney even read European
papers to see what they say about the US and the UK??

And if we accept Sweeney’s conviction that the Iraqi propaganda is not to be
believed, why would we believe his BBC or the CNN or any Western media outlet?
Have we forgotten the incubators case, the Anthrax case, the terrorism link (Atta
and Iraqi agents), the discovery of Atta’s passport in the middle of the debris at
the WTC site, that Iraq threw UNSCOM out in 1998, and the long list of lies and
fabrications propagated by the BBC and the likes of Sweeney?

If this shows anything, it shows how miserable the British media must feel to
revert to open lies and fabrications. They know the moral war is lost, so there is
nothing more to loose. After all, Blair can not leave Uncle Dubya alone, can he??

Greetings
HZ