Re: [casi] On writing to MPs

Hello Diarmuid & List,

Why shouldn't this site be a good place to debate whether, or not, writing
to MPs is useful? We are opposed to sanctions/warfare against Iraq, and we
need to maximise our effectiveness. I have wrestled with
the question, and still do. Some very sincere, and effective!, campaigners
would never even dream of contacting their MP - they would consider it an
utter waste of time - and one has to respect their views.
And yet, in working to get our message accross, we also need to communicate
where power & influence exists. Including trade unions, churches, mosques,
temples, universities, Parliament, political organisations, the media,
amongst friends, in CASI e-mails etc., etc. Some of us may even know
military officers - what's wrong with discussing sanctions etc. with them,
in a courteous manner? - "Many roads lead to Rome."

I don't think it is very constructive, Diarmuid, to see MPs as "the
buggers", i.e. using abusive terms. Far better to think of them as fallible
humans, like ourselves, who are doing a job, be it good, bad, or
indifferent. Possibly, some may be won over, in some cases, this could take
years, or even never. MPs cannot be experts on all subjects under the sun,
so it is up to us to broaden their knowledge and under-
standing - maybe even to reach out to their - beneath the surface?
-humanity.

Nor should we forget that elected representation is a luxury that some of
our foreign friends have never known. It would be wrong of us to try and
impose our views, even if we feel some persons may be deeply insincere, or
misguided, as some of us, in Britain, certainly are.

Lastly, whatever methods we employ, we constantly need to learn about our
own weaknesses, in order to develop our strengths, in our struggle for
justice.

Greetings,
Bert G. (Birmingham, U.K.).