Re: [casi] Electricity in Baghdad?

Dear Alexander, Jennifer and all

The UN "note" (http://www.un.org/Depts/oip/background/latest/phaseXI.doc),
says in paragraph 63 :
"In November 2001 the Committee approved funding
for the supply of two gas turbine units of 150 MW each (Comm. No. 702374)
for Dibis gas power station for reconnection of the two northern
governorates of Erbil and Sulaymaniyah to the national electricity grid.
This application remained on inactive hold for six months, awaiting the
provision of additional technical information by the supplier, as requested
by the holding Committee member.  The information was provided by the
supplier in mid-May 2002 and is currently under review by the holding
Committee member"
Without the necessary equipment you can not achieve "reconnection of the two
northern governorates of Erbil and Sulaymaniyah to the national electricity
grid".
Please write to UN to release these contracts soon so that they are supplied
electricity!

Paragraph 69 of the same report said:
"Power available from Mosul for Dahuk governorate fluctuated during the
reporting period. It reached 54.9 MW at the end of April 2002 but this is
less than 40 per cent of the requirements. The 29 MW diesel plant in Dahuk
commenced 24-hour operations on the last day of March 2002. "

Taking into consideration the milder climate in Dahuk than the one in
Baghdad or the south I think 40% is an acceptable figure when you consider
that the
total generation is only 38% of the peak summer load as reported in page 6
of another UN document
(http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/casi/info/unelecsecwg011120.pdf .)

Best regards
Ghazwan Al-Mukhtar
Baghdad, Iraq

Ps: Alexander I will be taking a holyday to Dahuk and Zakho soon and would
like to visit you  if you are in the Area.